none
Un-encrypted databse on TDE enabled sql server Instance RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Please can I know 

What happens to an un-enrypted database on a sql instance where we have a TDE enabled database?

I know that Tempdb is encrypted.

What are the implications of an un-encrypted database existing on an a instace where TDE is enabled?

Kind Regards,

Chinna. 

Friday, September 20, 2019 10:13 AM

All replies

• What are the implications of an un-encrypted database existing on an a instace where TDE is enabled?

Simply, the database files for databases without TDE enabled are not encrypted. There are no implications of enabling TDE for other databases on the instance other than the fact that tempdb files are encrypted as you mentioned.

Dan Guzman, Data Platform MVP, http://www.dbdelta.com

Friday, September 20, 2019 10:23 AM

• What happens to an un-enrypted database on a sql instance where we have a TDE enabled database?

I know that Tempdb is encrypted.

What are the implications of an un-encrypted database existing on an a instace where TDE is enabled?

Kind Regards,

Chinna. 

Things do not affect that database unless query is fired which makes use of tempdb as ou know tempdb is also encrypted. When a temp table is created for query fired in this database it would be affected by encrypted tempdb. Although this is not a much of issue.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, September 20, 2019 10:31 AM
  • TDE is designed to protect data by encrypting the physical files of the database and Encryption is done at the specified  database level. hence it wont impact to other databases hosted on same instance .

Please click "Mark as Answer" if it solved your issue and/or "Vote as helpful" if it helped. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Friday, September 20, 2019 12:06 PM
  • TDE is designed to protect data by encrypting the physical files of the database and Encryption is done at the specified  database level. hence it wont impact to other databases hosted on same instance .

Please click "Mark as Answer" if it solved your issue and/or "Vote as helpful" if it helped. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Again I am saying to go ahead and say that it would "not" affect any other database is not "fully" correct. if the databases are not using Tempdb or very slightly using they would not be affected if they are heavily using Tempdb, please note, you may see slight performance overhead of encryption and decryption of objects when using tempdb. 

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Monday, September 23, 2019 6:21 AM
  • Hi chinna738,

If any other database on the instance of SQL Server is encrypted by using TDE, the tempdb database will be encrypted.This might have a performance effect for unencrypted databases on the same instance of SQL Server.

The performance impact of TDE is minor. The overall performance impact is estimated to be around 3-5%  and can be much lower if most of the data accessed is stored in memory. Encryption is CPU intensive and is performed at I/O. Therefore, servers with low I/O and a low CPU load will have the least performance impact.

Help this could help you.

Best Regards,

Amelia Gu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 23, 2019 7:47 AM
  • The problem with MS remains, hires a new person  for forum and does not teaches him how to respond on forum. Amelia please do not propose your own answer this is not how forum works, let others propose your answer. Proposing your own answer seems like boasting that of all the answers given mine is the only correct one. Leave marking answer business to OP.

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 8:33 AM