none
Project Will Not Open in Project Pro - No Error Message

Question

• Config:

Project Server/Pro 2010, CU Dec 2011

Issue:

A single project behaves as follows when you open it in Project Pro:

The project does not open.  There is no error message.  On the bottom right, the status flashes "Opening File..." then "Closing File...." within the space of about a second.  It never appears to open.

The queue shows the project check-in at the point when it closes.

There are no errors in the event viewer, ULS logs have only one entry that looks helpful:

Area: Project Server

Category: Active Cache Load

PWA:http://[server], ServiceApp:SharedServices1_PsiServiceApplication, User:ISOOA1\ejohnston, PSI: [T:240b5962-b8fa-401a-8f73-b4b1a19129b8][U:62bddbf4-2b9b-40e3-9f85-ba52c1678b67][S:f7ad617c-7165-43f9-83e1-e54ed82d7def][D:VPMOPM15\Production][J:00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000][P:199f4c81-be87-4fe5-9c8d-11fc3e56c21d][PS_AC][1] Doing full load of project 199f4c81-be87-4fe5-9c8d-11fc3e56c21d, type MinRequestValue

The project can be opened and changed in PWA - (there are spaces between tasks in the schedule so you can't make changes to the schedule, but I tried changing info about the project and saving/publishing from PWA just to see if that would fix it. No dice, obviously)

The project was working fine earlier this morning.  I have a sick feeling that this is somehow corrupted and we will have to revert to an earlier version, but I thought I'd put it out there and see if anyone else had epxperienced this. (Other than this person, who didn't get an answer that I can see)

• Edited by ElliJ Monday, July 30, 2012 10:14 PM formatting
    Monday, July 30, 2012 10:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Eli,

Did you try to open the project with several different PC's?

If the answer is yes (which I suspect it will) then I personally would get an earlier version. It looks like the schedule may be corrupted :(

The issue is that you cant open the schedule in Project. That means you cant export the schedule in the first place to resolve the corruption. Before you play with it too much it may be just quicker to work around the issue.

But they may be another suggestion?

Marc Soester [MVP] http://marcsoester.blogspot.com

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:38 AM
  • Hi ElliJ,

We have faced similar behavior before - could not open some projects from Project PRO without errors.

Find Project_UID value for two projects (Project_UID #1 for a project that works, with another one Project_UID #2 that doesn’t).  Then comparing these two queries:

Select Res_UID, Res_ID, Res_Optindx, Res_WINPROJ_UNIQUE_ID

from MSP_PROJECT_RESOURCES where PROJ_UID = 'Project_UID #1'

Order By Res_Optindx

Select Res_UID, Res_ID, Res_Optindx, Res_WINPROJ_UNIQUE_ID

from MSP_PROJECT_RESOURCES where PROJ_UID = 'Project_UID #2'

Order By Res_Optindx

You may see there’re values in the Draft database that shouldn’t be there. (Entries with RES_UID = 'Some Res_uid' and RES_WINPROJ_UNIQUE_ID = '0'). If this happens - this may call your behavior.

The query to detect all the “bad” registers in the database is running this:

select * from MSP_PROJECT_RESOURCES
    where RES_UID = 'Some RES_UID'
    and RES_WINPROJ_UNIQUE_ID = '0'

And then you can just use:

delete from MSP_PROJECT_RESOURCES
    where RES_UID = 'Some RES_UID'
    and RES_WINPROJ_UNIQUE_ID = '0'

Hope this helps.

Alexey

• Edited by Alexey Koval Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:36 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Meghask Tuesday, April 9, 2013 11:11 AM
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:35 AM