none
Project Loops RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am reviewing a project plan wherein I want to identify Loops if any. Pl advise how easily can I identify and fix them.

Thanks

Monday, May 27, 2019 6:16 PM

All replies

• http://lmgtfy.com/?q=resolve+circular+references+in+Microsoft+Project

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Monday, May 27, 2019 7:15 PM
  • Getting following Message prompt: Microsoft Project "There was a problem linking these tasks. You cannot link a predecessor task twice to the same successor task."
    Tuesday, May 28, 2019 5:58 AM
  • so, what is your question? It's a message, it's true.
    Tuesday, May 28, 2019 6:34 AM
  • Unable to identify this message is for which all tasks
    Tuesday, May 28, 2019 7:18 AM
  • Please provide the code that you have written.

Michael Wharton, Project MVP, MBA, PMP and a Great Guy <br/> Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com <br/> Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 11:37 AM
  • I also got this message a few weeks ago.

In my case, the reason was a bizarre thing. Somehow some predecessors doubled for a task. When I wanted to extend the task's predecessors with a new one, or if I wanted to edit them, Project showed that message.
    My solution was, I cut all of the predecessors from the task, pasted it into a Notepad document, removed one of the doubled predecessors, and copy back to the task.
    Then I realized that many of the tasks had doubled predecessors. So I wrote a for each cycle and fixed all affected lines.
    I hope it can help you.

Csaba Marosi

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 2:57 PM
  • Thank you Csaba

My project plan comprise of 28K Tasks. Is there a way wherein I can filter or sort them may be via an excel to fix them all.

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 3:41 PM
  • Wow. 28k tasks.

Project has built in filter and sort functionality. View menu\Data section: Sort and Filter

You have many ways to export your tasks, but why would you do that when you can handle it in Project as well?

Some examples for export / analyze:
    1. We can create a table with columns in Project what we want to export, and copy and paste it into the Excel.
    2. We can use Save As Excel Workbook. This way, we can create a map to export and import tasks to/from Excel.
    3. We can use VBA (ALT-F11). If you have some programming experience, VBA is suitable for all essential tasks, so you can export tasks into a standard comma separated file. For example to list tasks to the debug window:

Sub SampleListOfTasks()
        Dim myTask As Task
        Dim msg As String

Application.FilterClear
        ActiveProject.ProjectSummaryTask.OutlineShowAllTasks

For Each myTask In ActiveProject.Tasks
            DoEvents
            If Not (myTask Is Nothing) Then
                Debug.Print myTask.ID & ": " & myTask.Name & ", Recurring: " & myTask.Recurring
            End If
        Next

msg = "Done."
        Debug.Print msg
        MsgBox msg
    End Sub

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/api/overview/project

4. We can use a .Net language, like C# to develop fancy apps...

If I were you, first, I would create a strategy for analyzing and measuring the schedule plan's healthy (I do it for all my projects having more than 2k rows.).

Ideas above just samples. To give a more sophisticated answer, a professional should know your demands and environment much-much more deeply.

Csaba Marosi

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 11:24 PM
  • 28k tasks is a lot of tasks.  So how would I think about this...  understanding a project like this is a lot like reading and understanding a complex book, and like a book is structured into chapters, paragraphs, sentences etc, then a project should be similarly structured. Each section in the project should make sense, and the dependencies between the sections should be clear and make sense too.   I would also review just how many of those tasks needs to be *scheduled*, vs just being in the plan as part of a checklist.  Creating a good plan, like writing a good book, is 90% editing and finessing, and only 10% writing...

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 7:22 AM