none
Enterprise Resource Dedication for the project' Ultimate Scenario (ERDUS) using Microsoft Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• General discussion

• How  the ultimate (all three parts below) scenario can be configured and executed in my company?

The Scenario: Enterprise Resource Dedication for the project (exclusive resource booking and management) Ultimate Scenario (ERDUS):

Definitions:

Resource -  means a specific employee X, i.e. not a resource group etc. Resource X (R1) cannot be substituted for any other R2.  

Tool -  means technological (not organizational solution) automated tool of the MS Project Server 2010, which can be used in order to execute the scenario.

*I – scenario part.*

1. Today a project manager (PM1) must “take” R1 for 8 hours (it means full

time)  on day 2011.11.11 (the date is far, R1 is free)

1.1. Question – What “tools” can be used to “book” R1? (call it „exclusive booking“).

2. When the 11<sup>th</sup> month came, other project managers (PM2) also would like to “book” the same resource R1 exactly on the 11<sup>th</sup>  day.

2.1. Question – What “tools” does PM1 must use to “prohibit” other PM2 from using exclusively taken R1? (R1 cannot be taken overtime!).

*II - scenario part *

3. When 11.10 day came, (day before exclusive taking) PM1 “releases” the R1 resource, because planned works will not be performed (ex. suddenly plans changed), it means that “tomorrow” R1 will be free – it is potential idle(i.e. downtime for highly qualified and wanted resource R1).

4. What technological tools can PM1 use to inform all the PM2 about a fact that R1 resource is free?

*III - scenario part.*

5. What tools can be used to view history of R1 “booking” and “releasing”?

5.1. This question is interpreted as follows:

5.1.1.If PM1 takes R1 for exclusive usage – PM1 is completely responsible for R1 resource utilization, because other PM2 are “prohibited” from taking R1.

5.1.2. PM1 should “care” that, after exclusive booking and releasing, other PM2 would be informed about releasing (to avoid the idle/downtime)

Hint. Therefore, please, consider all automated possibilities of implementing the scenario.  From the first look, for implementation of the scenario, it seems that for R1 resource it is necessary to set “non working time” day in the calendar(?) with respect to other PV2, but this is is only the prompt that could be useful for modelling the scenario.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 12:05 PM

All replies

• Vyautas --

To answer your questions:

*I – scenario part.*

1.1  There is no feature in Project Server 2010 that allows a PM to book a resource exclusively so that no other PM can use the resource during that time period.
    1.2  There is no way to prevent a PM from using a resource already booked by another PM during a certain time period.

*II - scenario part *

3  The PM who booked the R1 resource should simply remove the resource from the task to which the resource is assigned.

4  There is no tool that will inform PM2 that the resource is free.  PM2 can see this information, however, in the Resource Availability page in PWA.

*III - scenario part.*

5.  There is no tool that can be used to see the history of booking and releasing a resource.

5.1.1 and 5.1.2  Refer to my previous answers above.  What you want to do is not possible in Project Server 2010.

Furthermore, regarding your hint about using nonworking time, that simply will not work.  Sorry.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Thursday, April 21, 2011 12:34 PM
  • Dear, Dale,

Thanks for quick comments and replay.

As far as your answers are negative, could you, please, let me know, how the scenario could be sorted out using "what" options?

The perfect way would be a reference to any partner "technological partner" - real company which implemented similar scenarios. Could you please advise me?

Thanks,

Vytautas

Thursday, April 21, 2011 1:17 PM
  • Vytautas --

If PM1 assigns Resource1 to a task in an enterprise project, there is no feature that "locks" Resource1 so that PM2 cannot use the resource during the same time period.  However, if PM2 can do the following to determine IF Resource1 is available for use in his/her own project:

1.  Open an enterprise project and then display the Build Team dialog.
    2.  In the Build Team dialog, select Resource1 and then select the "Show resource availability" option.
    3.  In the dialog, select the date range in the From and To fields, and then click the Apply button.

Microsoft Project 2010 will show the availability for the selected resource (and all other resources) in the Avail column.  If the Avail value is 0 hours, this means the resource is booked in at least one other enterprise project during the selecting date range.

To "dig deeper" into the resource's lack of availability, PM2 can also click the Graphs button with Resource1 still selected.  The system will launch Project Web App in an Internet Explorer window and navigate to the Resource Availability page.  On this page, PM2 can study the resource's assignments in other projects and determine which projects are using Resource1 during the selected date range.

Our company is a Gold certified Project Partner with Microsoft, if you need a reference.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Thursday, April 21, 2011 2:29 PM
  • Dale,

the 123 scenario you mention is kind of obvious using the ms project.

Going deeper let me ask you your for an advice:

- how can project manager be "sure" that for "confirmed" project there will be committed/dedicated (booked in advance) resources when the time comes to do the work?

(if any PM2 by ~mistake places any project on the server all the “committed” resources for PM1 will simply "disappear". The situation becomes even worse - you will not know which PM booked required resources and which "overwrote" resources on top.

That is why I am asking for help implementing *I – scenario part.* described above.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 6:27 PM
  • Vytautas,

As Dale explained, there is no way to really 'block' resources.

In my opinion, this is a process training. Technically, your PMs should not be assiging resources as "Commited" (read booking type), until approved by a Resource Manager somewhere in your process. They should always start with using resources in a "proposed" booking type.

A Resource Manager will need to watch out for over-allocations before okaying the resources, and will need to watch out for over allocations and advise PMs abt it.

I understand your view point, and am not sure if there is a better way to handle it in MSPS.

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS Blog: http://msprojectideas.blogspot.com
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 7:29 PM
  • Vytautas --

As Prasanna advised you, the PM can use the Resource Usage view to look for resource overallocations caused by another PM booking a resource in their project during the same time frame that I have booked the resource in my project.  Overallocated resources show up in red.  PMs can also use the Resource Availability page in PWA to look for these overallocations as well. As Prasanna also said, this is really a "training and performance" issue with your PMs.  They need to be taught how to properly use the tool, and then you need to hold them accountable for their performance.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Thursday, April 21, 2011 7:58 PM
  • Dale, Prasanna, I do agree that Enterprise Resource Dedication Ultimate Scenario (ERDUS) could be interpreted as "training and performance" issue.

As far as there are no ways of "blocking" or "exclusive use" for resources in MSP2010 - PM can not be "guaranteed" that committed project setup plan is "safely" waiting for the time to come.

I would encourage other colleages to share their experience using MSP2010 for ERDUS.

Thanks,

Vytautas

P.S. can anybody encourage comments from partners listed in "Pinpoint Microsoft Project & Portfolio Management Partners"?

(http://www.microsoft.com/project/en/us/partners.aspx) - Thanks in advance.

Friday, April 22, 2011 5:14 AM
  • Dear, Dale Howard,

I feel that you want to close my question without answer (~3 time).

If you want to mark my question as answered - just state ir clearly - no such possibility in Microsoft Project Server 2010.

Thanks,

V.

Vytautas Pievaitis
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 8:22 PM
  • Vytautus:

I think that you have exhausted the possibilities with answers from Dale and Prassana. So to be very clear:

Reserving and guaranteeing resources for specific projects is not possible in the sense that you want it. Using Dale's advice, this has worked for many PMs for more than a decade. Using the tools available in the Project Server platform, you can customize the system to work the way you want.

Thread closed.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 8:27 PM
  • Vytautas --

I have no vested interest in closing your question, so no, I am NOT trying to close your question.  However, leaving a question open just because you do not like the answers given is not acceptable behavior in this forum. Please look at the other reply to this question from Gary Chefetz.  Then YOU decide whether to close this question or not.  How's that sound?

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:49 PM
  • Dear colleagues, Gary and Dale,

with a full respect to your competence I would like to ask you leave the question open - for a while.

Regarding Gary's statement "...this has worked for many PMs for more than a decade..." - I do agree, but it is not the advice using MSP2010.

Thanks,

V.

Vytautas Pievaitis
    Friday, June 10, 2011 5:56 AM
  • So, I've made this an open discussion so that you can keep it going for as long as you like.
    Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Friday, June 10, 2011 5:35 PM
  • Does anybody made "macroses" or workflows, how to enter/remove resource unavailability/reservation via global calendar?
    Vytautas Pievaitis
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 10:07 AM
  • Vytautas --

So, leaving this question open for more comments did not generate any more comments, did it?  I would suggest that you review the answers already given to you previous by myself and others, as they are the correct answer to your original question, even if you do not like the answer.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Thursday, August 4, 2011 12:45 PM
  • Hello,

the time has passed, but the scenario "ERDUS" is actual.

Somebody maybe deployed/adjusted/advanced it using Project server? v2013? 

Thanks,

V.

Vytautas Pievaitis

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 7:28 AM
  • Resource dedication is not a Project Management tool issue, but the process. So I doubt that anybody tried to solve this.

In regard to history of resource booking please look at the Resource Engagements feature in Project Online/Project Server 2016. This may be a partial solution to the scenario described (still no resource "dedication").

Vygantas

Monday, November 9, 2015 11:39 AM
  • Hello, are there any new solutions? Thanks.

Vytautas Pievaitis

Monday, September 30, 2019 7:31 PM
  • Hello Vytautas,

situation is almost the same: "hard" booking is not implemented in MS Project (Desktop/Server/Online). As this creates more work for Project/Resource managers to manage bookings as it is necessary.

But there are different solutions/add-on's created to make resource management easier. Maybe something similar can be achieved utilizing them. But not exact same scenario as you described in a first post.

Vygantas

Monday, September 30, 2019 9:21 PM
  • Vytautas --

No, there are no new solutions to your need in either Project Server 2019 or in Project Online.  We left your question "open" for 4 years so that others could provide you with a solution.  Maybe it is time for you to mark someone's reply as the answer to your question.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, September 30, 2019 9:39 PM