none
Portfolio Analyses (Project On-Line) - engagements affect capacity RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Can someone please confirm the following...

Using Portfolio Analyses (Project On-Line), in setting up a new model (i.e., Define Properties), in the section titled "Resource capacity impact for projects outside the analysis", the options states that "...engagements affect capacity".

In fact, the Portfolio Analyses models do not seem to take in to consideration any resource engagement.  Is this correct?  It only takes into account resource Booking Type (Committed/ Proposed).  Right?

Thanks in advance, 

\Spiro Theopoulos, Montreal, QC (Canada)

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 5:50 AM

Answers

• Spiro --

Resource Engagements can definitely impact Portfolio Analyses.  In this regard, I am assuming that you are using Resource Engagements for high-level resource planning before you actually assign resources to tasks.  For example, you staff your project with Generic resources and create Resource Engagements for each of them to forecast estimated resource utilization for the project.

If this is what you are doing, you must do the following in order for the Resource Engagements to be consider in Portfolio Analyses:

1. Open each enterprise project containing Resource Engagements that use Generic resources.
    2. Click Project > Project Information.
    3. In the Project Information dialog, click the "Calculate Resource Utilization from" pick list and select the Resource Engagements item.
    4. Click the OK button.
    5. Make sure the Resource Engagements have been submitted.  If not, submit them.
    6. Save and publish the project.

When you are ready to begin assigning human resources to the tasks in the project, then you need to change the setting in the Project Information dialog back to the Project Plan item.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 1:41 PM

All replies

• Spiro --

Resource Engagements can definitely impact Portfolio Analyses.  In this regard, I am assuming that you are using Resource Engagements for high-level resource planning before you actually assign resources to tasks.  For example, you staff your project with Generic resources and create Resource Engagements for each of them to forecast estimated resource utilization for the project.

If this is what you are doing, you must do the following in order for the Resource Engagements to be consider in Portfolio Analyses:

1. Open each enterprise project containing Resource Engagements that use Generic resources.
    2. Click Project > Project Information.
    3. In the Project Information dialog, click the "Calculate Resource Utilization from" pick list and select the Resource Engagements item.
    4. Click the OK button.
    5. Make sure the Resource Engagements have been submitted.  If not, submit them.
    6. Save and publish the project.

When you are ready to begin assigning human resources to the tasks in the project, then you need to change the setting in the Project Information dialog back to the Project Plan item.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 1:41 PM
  • Silly me!  Yes, of course... darn... details details... lol

Thanks again Dale!

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 2:47 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Thanks to your help, I have advanced with my testing to trying and refresh my memory in this area...

Got a question that you may be able to help with again...

If the option for a given model used is : "Only committed assignments and engagements affect capacity (recommended)", then why then does the 'Portfolio Analysis' > 'Analyzer Resources' > 'Requirements Details' > 'Resource Availability' window de-increment the 'resource's availability' for resource engagements that are set to PROPOSED?  I understand that that would make sense for those that are set to COMMITTED, but why those set as PROPOSED resource engagements would reduce and account for proposed in this way?  I would imagine and think that it should ignore PROPOSED engagements like it does in the lower window i.e., Project Requirements.  Am I missing something, or have a stumbled on something that needs to be fixed?

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 5:15 PM
  • Spiro --

What you did not mention in your last post is whether the Proposed resource engagements are from projects included in the Portfolio Analysis, or whether the projects are NOT included.  According to Microsoft's description of this functionality, "Resource capacity is affected by projects not included in this analysis. If project assignments use proposed bookings in your organization, or you have proposed engagements, you can choose to decrement proposed assignments and engagements from overall resource capacity."

The preceding is the first half of the description.  I think the next sentence in the description may explain the behavior you are seeing:  "...for projects within the analysis, both proposed and committed assignments and engagements will be considered."  So, the key would be whether you are using both committed and proposed resource engagements for the projects included in your Portfolio Analysis.  If so, both the committed AND proposed resource engagements will be factored into the analysis.

Does that help?  Please let me know.  Thanks!

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:21 PM
  • In other words, as i understand and please correct me if I am wrong, what Spiro is after can be sorted out by choosing the first of the two Recource Capacity options in the Portfolio Analysis set up, right?
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 10:24 PM
  • Hi Dale,

It quite straight forward really.

I created one (1) new position/role and assigned it to one (1) new resource.

I created one (1) new project plan in MS Pro and I set the Project Information > "Calculate Resource Utilization From" dropdown to Resource Engagements. 

I then set up a couple of resource engagements in this project file via the Resource Plan view in MS Pro as "proposed".

Saved and Published this project plan.

Went to PWA > Portfolio Analyses (PA) > New, and "Selected" just this new project file only.

Selected “Analyze project resource requirements against resource capacity", Planning Horizon, Role Custom Field, and... option: "Only committed assignments and engagements affect capacity (recommended)", ... set a project priority, clicked save in order to be able to advance to "Analyze Resource" > section of PA. 

As I mentioned, with the option "Only committed assignments and engagements affect capacity (recommended)", the "Resource Availability" window indicates 0 resources in the periods where I had proposed engagements for the resource.  There is no effect in the "Project Requirements" window.  However, if I create the exact same model with the only difference being that I select instead "Committed and proposed assignments and engagements affect capacity", then the only difference is that now in the lower window "Project Requirements" window the proposed resources are displayed and no change in the upper "Resource Availability" window, i.e., still zero (0) but expected in this scenario.

Thursday, September 29, 2016 12:04 AM
  • Not really... See my recent reply to Dale, above. In essence, the only difference in the options: "Only committed assignments and engagements affect capacity (recommended)" and, "Committed and proposed assignments and engagements affect capacity" is that in the lower Resource Analysis > "Project Requirements" window, the latter option accounts for proposed assignments. the upper "Resource Availability" window de-increments accordingly for proposed engagements. However, with "Only committed assignments and engagements affect capacity (recommended)", although the "Project Requirements" window, does not account for “proposed” engagements, the upper "Resource Availability" window still does. This is the part that I find perplexing.

Thursday, September 29, 2016 12:16 AM
  • Running into the exact same problem. Did you ever find a solution?
    Thursday, November 3, 2016 4:52 PM
  • I informed Microsoft Support. They acknowledged the issue. They are in the process of fixing it.

Thursday, November 3, 2016 6:45 PM