none
Is MyTask Filter customizable? RRS feed

• Question

• Is filter in MyTask Project web app. customizable? We wish to have our own filters customized to the followings:

1) Behind schedule

2) At Risk

3) On Track

4) Completed

5) Not Completed.

Currently we built our own dashboard in Tableau such we can measure overall progress above. When a resource logs into MyTask on the PWA they would see the below. If they want to see above, they will need to navigate to a different system which is abit confusing. If you compare between above and below, the only common denominator is Completed Tasks, all others are different. Help is much appreciated. I don't think there is a way but I thought I wanted to try asking anyway.  I think Filter shipped with PWA by default below.

Thank you,

NLuu

• Edited by NLuu Thursday, April 25, 2019 8:11 PM
    Thursday, April 25, 2019 8:09 PM

Answers

• Hi, if you were to include the relevant fields in the view name, then you could use the custom filter button (though I cannot see it in your screen shot); you would need to train each user to do this.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

• Marked as answer by NLuu Friday, April 26, 2019 2:49 PM
    Thursday, April 25, 2019 8:39 PM
  • Hi NLuu,

You would need to have task level ECFs that calculated whether a task was one of the values you wanted (the Status field goes some way to doing this), but not all the way.  For example, a task can be both not completed but on track. 

However, this is possible with a formula, so given the logic is there from the DBA, you could implement the same in Project Online.   You would need to "roll the formula down to assignment level" when setting up the formula, and then each project would then need to be published, the view modified to include the new Task field, and then the resource could filter on it.   

Probably a 1/2 day's work to implement and test :) 

Friday, April 26, 2019 8:42 AM
  • ECF = Enterprise Custom Field.  You can replicate what you do using a formula, except perhaps the expected percentage complete.   You'll need another field to hold this - check out https://applepark.co.uk/how-to-calculate-planned-project-project-online/ 

• Marked as answer by NLuu Friday, April 26, 2019 7:32 PM
    Friday, April 26, 2019 2:54 PM
  • Hi, they cannot be removed.

• Marked as answer by NLuu Wednesday, May 1, 2019 2:12 PM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2019 10:15 PM
  • Hi,

The user can set a custom filter as per the screen shot.  If you have included the task level ECFs in the view (and rolled them down to assignment level) then they will be available when you choose custom filter.

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 2:43 PM
  • Okay, so the view name doesn't matter as such, is there a view category called My Work which has views beneath it?  You should have view of the type "my work".  

As to why you don't have the option to create a filter I don't know, this is not a configurable option. I know that the menus can be changed using j script I think, so maybe there is some running on the page which removes the filter option.   Did you work with a 3rd party to implement this system?

• Marked as answer by NLuu Tuesday, May 7, 2019 7:37 PM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2019 5:53 PM
  • Hi, not all view configurations allow for a filter in the configuration, and this is one of them.  Each user will have to configure their own personal filter.   Can you share the jscript that the dev used?

• Marked as answer by NLuu Tuesday, May 7, 2019 8:43 PM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2019 8:10 PM
  • No, each use will need to create the custom filter, they cannot create 5, they cannot name the filter; and would a user really want to use 4 filters to file all of their potential tasks.   Best to use the Group By feature and you could do define this for all users.   

• Marked as answer by NLuu Tuesday, May 7, 2019 9:31 PM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2019 9:27 PM
  • I would start the formula in MS Project to test it.  It looks like you want the following results

Completed, at risk, behind schedule, on track, not complete.  Your DBA has given you the code, and it will be executed for each task when the project changes, and therefore will be valid when the project is last published (so if you published it a week ago, then something that was on track could now be behind schedule).  You will need to convert your DBA's code into something MS Project understands, I would use a switch statement of the format in the image.  Once the formula is working correctly to can Add the field to the Enterprise, it saves you typing it in again.  Not you will need to select Roll down to assignment level (this was mentioned before).   

UIn terms of Group By, once you have added your field to the view in PWA settings, then you should be able to group by the field, thereby showing all of your Completed tasks together, all of your At Risk tasks together, etc, etc.

• Marked as answer by NLuu Tuesday, June 11, 2019 8:13 PM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2019 9:23 PM
  • Hi, did you select the option to roll down the status to assignment level when you set the code up, and then did you publish a project that the user has an assignment on?  Alas I cannot test your formula because you are using the value [% expected]

• Marked as answer by NLuu Tuesday, June 11, 2019 8:32 PM
    Tuesday, June 11, 2019 8:26 PM
  • You're welcome - i'm glad we got there.

• Marked as answer by NLuu Tuesday, June 11, 2019 8:58 PM
    Tuesday, June 11, 2019 8:56 PM
  • You need to modify the My Assignments view with is a My Work view.  Try that and see where you get to.  However, within the Tasks tab from the PWA menu URL = https://<tenant>.sharepoint.com/sites/<sitename>/Tasks.aspx, in the ribbon, do you see Custom Filter option from the ribbon?

Thursday, May 2, 2019 3:46 PM

All replies

• Hi, if you were to include the relevant fields in the view name, then you could use the custom filter button (though I cannot see it in your screen shot); you would need to train each user to do this.

Thursday, April 25, 2019 8:39 PM
  • Ben,

So the MyTask filter is customizable, indeed.  However, what show in our Tableau dashboard are:

1) Behind schedule

2) At Risk

3) On Track

4) Completed

5) Not Completed.

The code/condition behind these filters built by our DBA such it display 1 to 5 filter on Tableau.  How then we can implement it in PWA and whether this is doable/permissible?

Coaching resources to use filter isn't an issue, they were the one that ask for it as it's confusing to them now as the filters info. are not aligned and rather inconvenience to hop back and forth between two systems.

Thanks for a speedy response.

NLuu

• Edited by NLuu Thursday, April 25, 2019 8:53 PM
    Thursday, April 25, 2019 8:51 PM
  • Hi NLuu,

You would need to have task level ECFs that calculated whether a task was one of the values you wanted (the Status field goes some way to doing this), but not all the way.  For example, a task can be both not completed but on track. 

However, this is possible with a formula, so given the logic is there from the DBA, you could implement the same in Project Online.   You would need to "roll the formula down to assignment level" when setting up the formula, and then each project would then need to be published, the view modified to include the new Task field, and then the resource could filter on it.   

Probably a 1/2 day's work to implement and test :) 

Friday, April 26, 2019 8:42 AM
  • Thanks, let me dig around and see if I can find away to do this in the ECF task level.  It's good to know that only 1/2 days of work but probably will take me more time.

Our DBA uses SQL to regulate the 5 bullets I mentioned below

Hope this solves our issue regarding missing, not aligning glitches by the way, what is ECF?

NLuu

Friday, April 26, 2019 2:49 PM
  • ECF = Enterprise Custom Field.  You can replicate what you do using a formula, except perhaps the expected percentage complete.   You'll need another field to hold this - check out https://applepark.co.uk/how-to-calculate-planned-project-project-online/ 

• Marked as answer by NLuu Friday, April 26, 2019 7:32 PM
    Friday, April 26, 2019 2:54 PM
  • Ben,

Are these filters below default?  I can't find the way to remove it out from the option.  We don't need Newly Assigned Tasks option.  Thanks.

Regards,

NLuu

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 8:14 PM
  • Hi, they cannot be removed.

• Marked as answer by NLuu Wednesday, May 1, 2019 2:12 PM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2019 10:15 PM
  • Ben,

I'm not following what you just said.  I thought you said the filter is customizable which means I can add and remove the filter.  Are you saying that I can add new filter by using Enterprise Custom Fields to THIS filter list but I can't remove what I do not want?  Not sure if I misunderstand what you were saying.  Also, do you have an example of a custom filter? 

I know how to create one but I don't know how to add in the filter list.  How do I make it shows it the filter list?  We do have ECF used formula and none of them display in THIS filter list.

NLuu

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 2:12 PM
  • Hi,

The user can set a custom filter as per the screen shot.  If you have included the task level ECFs in the view (and rolled them down to assignment level) then they will be available when you choose custom filter.

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 2:43 PM
  • Thanks much.

NLuu

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 2:45 PM
  • Ben,

The custom filter still doesn't show at my end.  Here are the steps that I performed.

1) Created new field call "Test Completed Stage" I put it under Project as other option doesn't give me the filter option.

2) In the custom filter, I put in Field Name --> I selected "Test Completed Stage"

3) I created a view called "Test Completed Stage" and assigned the security group.  

See screenshot attached.  I must have missed one step, I completed the steps before you posted the 2nd image "My Task Level ECF" as I know that was where to create custom filter.

What did I do wrong?

NLuu

Thursday, May 2, 2019 3:06 PM
  • You need to modify the My Assignments view with is a My Work view.  Try that and see where you get to.  However, within the Tasks tab from the PWA menu URL = https://<tenant>.sharepoint.com/sites/<sitename>/Tasks.aspx, in the ribbon, do you see Custom Filter option from the ribbon?

Thursday, May 2, 2019 3:46 PM
  • Ben, 

In the Manage Views, there is no "my assignments" option on my end, I have other views created for different usage related to my group. 

In the https://<tenant>.sharepoint.com/sites/<sitename>/Tasks.aspx, I don't have custom filter either.  It was NEVER there.  I thought by creating the new ECF and put in the filter the selection under the custom field, it will make the custom filter displays in the pulldown list.  Basically, I NEVER had the custom filter in the filter before.

Regards,

NLuu

Thursday, May 2, 2019 6:56 PM
  • Hi Ben,

Did you have a chance to look at my query.  Under My work, I don't have "My Assignment" option, when I created new  view under my work, it doesn't give me the option to create custom filter which you showed me.  The only way I can create the filter is in a different view which is project view. Appreciate your times.

Thanks,

NLuu

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 4:14 PM
  • Okay, so the view name doesn't matter as such, is there a view category called My Work which has views beneath it?  You should have view of the type "my work".  

As to why you don't have the option to create a filter I don't know, this is not a configurable option. I know that the menus can be changed using j script I think, so maybe there is some running on the page which removes the filter option.   Did you work with a 3rd party to implement this system?

• Marked as answer by NLuu Tuesday, May 7, 2019 7:37 PM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2019 5:53 PM
  • Ben, you are right, it was in jscript, and our former 3rd party developer hid that to prevent confusion from our task owners (we want them to see what they need to see pertinent to their group).  

Next steps are to put the Behind Schedule, At risk, On Track, Not Completed and Completed in the Custom filter.

NLuu

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 7:01 PM
  • Ben,

Eventhough the custom filter displays in pulldown list the My Task, the filter option doesn't show in "My Work" new view creation unlike project view.  If I create new view in Project, I have the option to create custom filter.  If I choose "My Work" then I don't have custom filter. 

Is this by design or it was hidden at my end?  Do you have custom filter (see below) in your My Work area?  The screenshot below I grabbed from the Project view, it's absent from My Work view.

Thanks Ben,

NLuu

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 7:49 PM
  • Hi, not all view configurations allow for a filter in the configuration, and this is one of them.  Each user will have to configure their own personal filter.   Can you share the jscript that the dev used?

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 8:10 PM
  • There are so many of this .js files.  This is the one that the custom filter option being removed such I could see the custom filter in the My Task area.

**Remaining text are:**

<style type="text/css">
    #Ribbon\.ContextualTabs\.MyWork\.Home\.ShowHide
    {
    DISPLAY: none;
    }
    </style>
    <style type="text/css">
    #Ribbon\.ContextualTabs\.MyWork\.Home\.Data\.GroupsDropDown-Medium
    {
    }
    </style>
    <style type="text/css">
    #Ribbon\.ContextualTabs\.MyWork\.Home\.Data\.GroupLabel-Medium
    {
    }
    </style>
    <style type="text/css">
    #Ribbon\.ContextualTabs\.MyWork\.Home\.Page\.Save-Large
    {
    }
    </style>
    <style type="text/css">
    #Ribbon\.ContextualTabs\.MyWork\.Home\.Page\.SubmitMenu\.Menu\.SubmitSection\.SubmitSelection-Menu32
    {
    }
    </style>
    <style type="text/css">
    #Ribbon\.ContextualTabs\.MyWork\.Home\.Navigate\.DataOptions-Large
    {
    }
    </style>
    <style type="text/css">
    #Ribbon\.ContextualTabs\.MyWork\.Home\.Navigate\.Display\.Menu\.Displays\.DisplayTimephased-Menu32
    {
    }
    </style>
    <style type="text/css">
    #Ribbon\.ContextualTabs\.MyWork\.Home\.Tasks

{
    }
    </style>

***The one below CSS was the one we removed**

<style type="text/css">
    #Ribbon\.ContextualTabs\.MyWork\.Home\.Data\.FilterDropdown\.Menu\.InboxCustomFilter\.Custom-Menu16
    {
    }
    </style>

NLuu

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 8:26 PM
  • Well, I was just curious if I do everything right, I will be able to see (below) options in RED below when user select pulldown list they will see options below (without clicking custom filter).  That was why we decided to hide it at the beginning as we didn't want to make any users trying to do the custom filter themself.  Basically, they click on the filter (see RED), they will see whatever the formula says without clicking on the custom list then put in selected filter.  Is this something doable or this is just wish it works like this?  Wonder if this can only be done by developer who understand codes?  This appears to be complicated. Appreciate your guidance, Thx.

NLuu

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 8:42 PM
  • No, each use will need to create the custom filter, they cannot create 5, they cannot name the filter; and would a user really want to use 4 filters to file all of their potential tasks.   Best to use the Group By feature and you could do define this for all users.   

• Marked as answer by NLuu Tuesday, May 7, 2019 9:31 PM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2019 9:27 PM
  • Ben,

I'm still struggled with creating the custom filter.  Part of it, I don't understand the formula usage.  I was able to test the formula (just dummy text), it displayed in the my task.  What is your advice on creating formula and where do I start?  I did visit the link you gave me and tested putting the formula in the formula field but it doesn't allow me to have any of those. 

I reread your comments, you said this can be accomplished also by Group by Feature.  What are you referring to group by feature and where. 

NLuu

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 7:31 PM
  • I would start the formula in MS Project to test it.  It looks like you want the following results

Completed, at risk, behind schedule, on track, not complete.  Your DBA has given you the code, and it will be executed for each task when the project changes, and therefore will be valid when the project is last published (so if you published it a week ago, then something that was on track could now be behind schedule).  You will need to convert your DBA's code into something MS Project understands, I would use a switch statement of the format in the image.  Once the formula is working correctly to can Add the field to the Enterprise, it saves you typing it in again.  Not you will need to select Roll down to assignment level (this was mentioned before).   

UIn terms of Group By, once you have added your field to the view in PWA settings, then you should be able to group by the field, thereby showing all of your Completed tasks together, all of your At Risk tasks together, etc, etc.

• Marked as answer by NLuu Tuesday, June 11, 2019 8:13 PM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2019 9:23 PM
  • Ben,

We created a custom field for formula as shown below.  We called it Task Status to mimic whatever the DBA has in the database.

Switch(([% Complete] = 100 And DateDiff("d", Now(), [Finish]) < 0), "Task Completed", ([% Complete] = 100 And DateDiff("d", Now(), [Finish]) >= 0), "On Track", (DateDiff("d", Now(), [Start]) > 0 And [% Complete] = 0), "Not Started", (DateDiff("d", Now(), [Start]) > 0 And [% Complete] > 0), "On Track", (DateDiff("d", Now(), [Finish]) < 0 And [% Complete] < 100), "Behind Schedule", ([% Complete] - [% Expected]) < 10, "On Track", ([% Complete] - [% Expected]) >= 10 And [% Complete] - [% Expected] < 30, "At Risk", ([% Complete] - [% Expected]) >= 30, "Behind Schedule")

In the manage view, we added this custom field to one of the security groups, it displays the column called "Task Status".  I delegated someone else's tasks to me, upon logging in to My Task to that security group, I didn't see any result based on the criteria set above.  Please advise what did I do wrong? Should it not show "Behind Schedule", "At Risk", "Task Completed" as per set?

NLuu

• Edited by NLuu Tuesday, June 11, 2019 8:17 PM
    Tuesday, June 11, 2019 8:12 PM
  • Hi, did you select the option to roll down the status to assignment level when you set the code up, and then did you publish a project that the user has an assignment on?  Alas I cannot test your formula because you are using the value [% expected]

• Marked as answer by NLuu Tuesday, June 11, 2019 8:32 PM
    Tuesday, June 11, 2019 8:26 PM
  • We forgot to check the roll down thingin.  I will publish and try again.  Thanks a bunch.

NLuu

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 8:33 PM
  • mission accomplished, Ben.  Thanks much.

Regards,

NLuu

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 8:50 PM
  • You're welcome - i'm glad we got there.

• Marked as answer by NLuu Tuesday, June 11, 2019 8:58 PM
    Tuesday, June 11, 2019 8:56 PM