none
Hyper-V 2019 Checkpoint Operations fails after a day RRS feed

• Question

• We backup our  Hyper-V 2019/16 servers containing couple of virtual machines, with Unitrend backup system, which requires checkpoints to be able to back the VM's.  When we tested to create checkpoint, it would give the error "An error occured while attempting to checkpoint the selected virtual machines. The operation cannot be performend while the object is in use". When we check the logs we get the following Event ID: 19100, 18012, 18014.
    Normally when we reboot the Hyper-V servers , we are able to create checkpoints for a day or so after which the same issue recurs.

We have used ICACLS to grant the "NT Virtual Machine" user of each VM full access, and ensured that the VHD files and checkpoints are in the same folder. We also ovserved that the .avhdx files which are created would remain and are not able to automatically get merged to the parent .vhdx file.

This is happening al all our Hyper-V 2019 servers which are part of a domain.
    • Edited by az20199 Thursday, October 10, 2019 8:23 PM
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 8:15 PM

Answers

• This turns out to be group policy related, I moved my backup servers out of a set of group policies and that seems to have resolved the issue.

Although I don't know the exact set of group policies that may be responsible for this issue.

• Marked as answer by az20199 Thursday, October 31, 2019 8:10 PM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2019 3:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

For now situation, we faced that we cannot create checkpoint in our VM, is that right? Can you create Standard checkpoint or Production checkpoint?

For the error “An error occurred while attempting to checkpoint the selected virtual machines. The operation cannot be performed while the object is in use.”, In general, you may encounter the error reported if you have same resources shared by multiple VMs.

For example a physical DVD drive mapped to one VM cannot be mapped again to another VM while the previous one is still in use. The solution to this is simple, remove the mapped DVD drive from that VM that doesn't need it.

Please try to compare the VMs configuration for finding the resources that are shared by multiple VMs.

In addition, please install the latest update for your Host and VM. Checking if the integration service has been enabled and the version is up to date.

You can discuss with Unitrend supporter in the same time.

Please let me know if you have anything unclear.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 11, 2019 6:13 AM
  • I have checked to ensure none of the vms have any drives attached. None of the resources other than the physical server  are shared by the vms. All the VMS and hosts have been updated .

Friday, October 11, 2019 7:41 PM
  • Thanks for your reply!

1. >> When we tested to create checkpoint, it would give the error "An error occured while attempting to checkpoint the selected virtual machines.

What checkpoints did you create? Production or Standard.

2. Try to use the follwoing methond mentioned in the link:

http://www.dewacorp.com/integration-services/troubleshooting-on-virtual-machine-vm-backup-using-windows-backup-wbadmin/

3. Try to restart the vss service and Hyper-V VMMS services and then try again.

4. Please run this command "vssadmin list writers" on your host and vm.

Best Regards,

Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 14, 2019 7:59 AM
  • Hi,
    Just want to confirm the current situations.
    Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.
    Best Regards,
    Daniel

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 6:25 AM
  • This turns out to be group policy related, I moved my backup servers out of a set of group policies and that seems to have resolved the issue.

Although I don't know the exact set of group policies that may be responsible for this issue.

• Marked as answer by az20199 Thursday, October 31, 2019 8:10 PM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2019 3:09 PM
  • OK, At least the problem is solved.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Thursday, October 31, 2019 6:34 AM