none
Resource leveling based on resource engagements RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm interesting by using the resource engagements feature.

However, PMs are using resource leveling and for the moment I didn't find a way to setup the resource leveling taking in account the resource engagements dates committed.

Is it something feasible?

If yes, how?

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 6:40 AM

Answers

• Hi Patrick,

The principle, as I understand it, is only to enhance and facilitate communication but not to constraint the assignment process. Note that Project will pop up an alert in case you assign a resource more than the committed engagement. The leveling will always take into account the reality, and since the reality (assignment) can be different than the engagement, it makes sense.

Of course this principle can be discussed, and is actually discussed.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by Patrick 66 Wednesday, September 21, 2016 1:02 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2016 10:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Patrick,

I haven't tested it, but since the project manager can overwrite the committed engagements, even approved, the leveling would only take into account the standard assignment unit and dates, not the engagement information.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 8:13 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Many thanks for your quick answer.

Regarding the fact that a project manager can overwrite the committed engagements, I really hope Microsoft will fix this because it's not at all the behavior that I expect (and I believe many others)

Furthermore, if the resource leveling cannot take in account the engagements dates then I will finally not see the interest of using resource engagement feature.

This is sad because I was expecting improvements in that area...

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 9:17 AM
  • Hi Patrick,

The principle, as I understand it, is only to enhance and facilitate communication but not to constraint the assignment process. Note that Project will pop up an alert in case you assign a resource more than the committed engagement. The leveling will always take into account the reality, and since the reality (assignment) can be different than the engagement, it makes sense.

Of course this principle can be discussed, and is actually discussed.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by Patrick 66 Wednesday, September 21, 2016 1:02 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2016 10:19 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

I was expecting an additional option in the resource leveling setting in order to do it based on engagements - by default I assume it's not taking in account engagements.

If the resource engagement is "just" a facilitator of communication and "only" this then it's useless in my case :  we will continue to book the resource via an external tool, use local resource instead of enterprise resource and update the resource availability by hands : so we will continue to waste time :-(

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 4:00 PM