none
Migration or build from Scratch? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

Currently we are using PS 2010 and we are planning to implement PS 2013. I am in a dilemma, whether to migrate to PS 2013 or should we start from scratch? Both have its pros and cons but can I have your experiences shared on the problems or the advantages that you have experienced with or without migration.

Thanks in Advance.

Cheers, Amit Wairkar

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 10:59 AM

Answers

• Hi Amit,

Those are all things that could easily be changed once you do the upgrade. Look at doing a test / trial upgrade and review then? It might be worth engaging with a Microsoft PPM partner if you have concerns?

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

• Marked as answer by Amit.Wairkar Thursday, November 19, 2015 5:14 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 8:26 AM
  • Hi Amit,

the change can be made before or after the upgrade.

I always suggest to be done after, because that way the users will be presented not only with a new Business approach, but also with new functionalities and a new system.

One of the advantages of the PS2013 migration is the speed, so you can give your users a better experience by allowing them to define the new requirements on the new system.

Just my two cents.

If you think this was valuable please mark my reply as a valid answer. Thanks. Kind Regards, João Frederico Neto --

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 8:32 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Are you happy with the configuration and data in PS2010? Does the configuration still support the current business processes? If so, go with the upgrade, if the configuration requires a lot of re-work / change then may be consider starting again in PS2013.

This is a difficult question to answer over a forum as we don't know anything about your organisation, set up, usage etc.

Paul

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 12:40 PM
  • I'd have to ask.. what are the cons?

It's a very straight forward configuration and with powershell it's even easier to script and have done in 2 hours (or less) 

Also if you want to get to 2016 project server you'll have to upgrade to 2013 first...

2013 has been nothing but great things for my customers

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 4:31 PM
  • I compelitely agree with Paul, is just a question on the business side rather than on the technical side.

If you think this was valuable please mark my reply as a valid answer. Thanks. Kind Regards, João Frederico Neto --

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 6:24 PM
  • Paul,

We are happy with what we have today and a lot of reporting has been developed from PS 2010. But there are some constraints if we migrate:

• There is certain master data in the lookup table which we have discontinued. If we are able to freeze those then we can think about migrating
    • Certain custom fields we don't want to carry forward
    • A lot of Organisational changes have happened which disturbs our RBS

Maybe considering the above problems you can put on some light.

Cheers, Amit Wairkar

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 5:04 AM
  • Hi Amit,

Those are all things that could easily be changed once you do the upgrade. Look at doing a test / trial upgrade and review then? It might be worth engaging with a Microsoft PPM partner if you have concerns?

Paul

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 8:26 AM
  • Hi Amit,

the change can be made before or after the upgrade.

I always suggest to be done after, because that way the users will be presented not only with a new Business approach, but also with new functionalities and a new system.

One of the advantages of the PS2013 migration is the speed, so you can give your users a better experience by allowing them to define the new requirements on the new system.

Just my two cents.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 8:32 AM
  • I would create a test environment and check it then. Thanks for your advise Paul and Joao.

Cheers, Amit Wairkar

Thursday, November 19, 2015 5:16 AM