none
Project Server 2010 Demo - Visual Studio workflow

Question

• Hi Everybody,

I really need your help. I am just a beginner in Visual Studio, and facing a problem.

We are dealing here at the company with a Project Server 2010 demo environment and wanted to set up a workflow. As it is only doable - as far as I know - in Visual Studio 2010, first I just went through the http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee767694(v=office.14).aspx docs (lots of you guys recommended to review), added the Project Server and SharePoint Server Workflow tabs with the given components (Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Workflow.dll and Microsoft.Office.Workflow.Actions.dll). It seemed to be working, I mean, I can see the components but they are somehow inactive (grayed out) so that I cannot use them to set up my first workflow in Visual Studio 2010 ever.

Thanks a lot.

Gabe

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, June 03, 2010 4:04 PM Project Server question gone lost (From:SharePoint - Workflow (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, June 03, 2010 2:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Gabe20,

You don't really need to use the VS 2010 workflows.  Just use the standard workflows that come with SharePoint 2010.  The VS 2010 workflows are required when you need special handling and code requirements.

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Thursday, June 03, 2010 7:38 PM
  • Michael,

thanks for your response.

Don't you think, that in case of setting up a customised workflow we need Visual Studio 2010? I am just asking, I do not have a solid knowledge on the topic at hand, but read something similar on the sites I was referring to in my first message.

According to these docs, after creating the WF in Project Server 2010 (with the EPT, phases/stages, PDPs, Custom fields) a corresponding WF has to be set up in Visual Studio 2010 (which was mentioned in several MS presentation as the only plattform to do that) and create the association with the Project Server WF through StageUIDs.

As I said, I am not an expert on that, just repeating what I heard from all the docs.

Thanks,

Gabe

Friday, June 04, 2010 11:55 AM
  • Hi Gabe,

If you are developing Project Server 2010 workflows to assign to EPT's you do indeed need to use Visual Studio 2010. 

If you check out the MSDN page at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee767686.aspx you'll notice in the community content at the bottom some other users have run into the same issue, but best of all there is a a workaround  :)

Don't forget to download the Project 2010 SDK, which has some excellent workflow source examples, including the source for the Proposal workflow that ships in the product. You can get the SDK at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=46007f25-b44e-4aa6-80ff-9c0e75835ad9&displaylang=en

Hope this helps,

Alex.

Alex Burton www.epmsource.com
    Friday, June 04, 2010 12:09 PM