none
Uninstall Server Essentials 2012, wsspowershell is still being called RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I have a server for a customer that was upgraded from Server 2012 Essentials to Server 2016 without essentials. Everything is working, but my error log is being flooded with an error where the server is trying to call wsspowershell.exe over and over again. I tried installing the Server 2016 essentials experience, and then removing it but that did not help.

I wish I could start fresh on this server, but I can't. Is there anyway to get rid of the references to 2012 Essentials and stop filling the logs with bogus errors?

Here is the text from the error:

Faulting application name: WssPowerShell.exe, version: 6.2.9805.0, time stamp: 0x504a9e95
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.14393.3085, time stamp: 0x5d1d7c66
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000034c48
    Faulting process id: 0x1bb4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d56b46e679d10b
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WssPowerShell.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: e6d423d2-2cad-4a13-bbad-347cc728d58a
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Saturday, September 14, 2019 10:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In general, if you want to upgrade system from Windows Server 2012 Essentials to Windows Server 2016 Standard/Datacenter and keep the same hardware(in-place upgrade). We should follow the upgrade order as either below:
    Windows Server 2012 Essentials -> transition to Windows Server 2012 Standard (turn off WSE features) -> in-place upgrade to Windows Server 2016 Standard/Datacenter.

If it is WSE 2012 R2, we can upgrade it to WSE 2016, then, transition from WSE 2016 to WS 2016 Standard/Datacenter.

Please confirm that if below file still exists, if so, run the wizard manually to turn off WSE features:
    %systemdrive%\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\TurnOffFeaturesWizard.exe

If not, please provide me more information about the system upgrade.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 16, 2019 7:21 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang   

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 8:45 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, September 26, 2019 9:37 AM