none
My Tasks view failed to load error for some projects

Question

• Hi,

I've got stuck with an error "View failed to load. Press OK to reload view with default settings. Press Cancel to select another view" while connecting to My Work -> Tasks.

This error message is displayed for resources that get an assignment in one particular project. This project was created in earlier version of MS Project Pro as local file. Then it was opened in Project Pro 2010 and saved to Project Server 2010 (Evaluation version, no patches or CU installed).

Any user that has an assignment in a project, even Project Server admin, can view their Timesheets. However no one can view My Work -> Tasks view. If I leave a user as a team member in a project, but without assignments, he can view Tasks view without a problem. As I assign him to any task in a project he can't load view again.

I tried some solutions found on this forum: inserting a column Publish, selecting No to all tasks, and then Yes again. Doesn't work.

Tried to save that project as a file and save it to another test Project Server (MS Virtual machine for evaluation). The same problem.

The ULS log displays this information:

Exception occurred in method Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Statusing.StatusingGetMyWorkForGridJson System.IO.InvalidDataException:

Found invalid data while decoding.

at Microsoft.Office.Project.Conversion.TextConverter.set_DaysPerMonth(Int32 value)

at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.MyWorkQueryInfo.GetTextConvForRecord(DataRow row)

at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Utility.JsGridPopulationManager.<>c__DisplayClass89.<ConstructGridFieldLocalizer>b__82(DataRow row, Object dataValue)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.JSGrid.GridSerializer.LocalizeField(DataRow dr, GridField field, Object dataValue)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.JSGrid.GridSerializer.CreateLocalizedData(IEnumerable`1 unlocalizedSlicedRows)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.JSGrid.GridSerializer.BuildOutput()

at Microsoft.SharePoint.JSGrid.GridSerializer.ToJson(Serializer s)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.JsonUtilities.Serializer.SerializeToJson(Object o)

at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Statusing.GetMyWorkForGridJson(JsGridSerializerArguments gridSerializerArgs, String gridChangesJson, String projectAssignmentsMap, Guid viewUid, String timephasedStart, String timephasedEnd, Byte pane, Int32 durationType, Int32 workType, Int32 dateFormat, Boolean clearPersistedProperties, Nullable`1 rowFilterType)

at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Wcf.Implementation.PWAImpl.StatusingGetMyWorkForGridJson(JsGridSerializerArguments gridSerializerArgs, String gridChangesJson, String projectAssignmentsMap, Guid viewUid, String timephasedStart, String timephasedEnd, Byte pane, Int32 durationType, Int32 workType, Int32 dateFormat, Boolean clearPersistedProperties, Nullable`1 rowFilterType)

What may be the cause for the error?

Monday, January 10, 2011 10:15 PM

Answers

• Vygantas:

When importing a project, the system doesn't make changes to the Enterprise Global file. It may be that your project contained custom objects that the system could not import into the Enterprise Global, particularly if it was on Project Server once. It may have some enterprise objects copied into it. The point is that the Import Wizard won't let these in. That probably explains the error message which is meaningless in this context.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:46 PM

All replies

• We do not generally recommend saving a project from a file to Project Server that way. Instead, delete the current version from Project Server and use the Import Project to Enterprise wizard instead. You can find this feature by adding it to a ribbon or the quick access toolbar.
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Monday, January 10, 2011 10:33 PM
  • I know that. However this situation is at my client site. First thing that I proposed to them is to import projects. However thay do not followed this recommendation and saved them. Now they do not agree to delete this project and to use Import wizard. Thats why I'm looking for another solution.

Made some additional research and it seems that August CU for SharePoint and Project Server may help to resolve this issues. But my question remains the same - what may be the couse of error? With such information I can tell that they have to use Import wizard instead of Save As.

Anyway, thanks, Gary.

Vygantas

Monday, January 10, 2011 10:45 PM
  • Vygantas:

As a professional in the field, you must know that the Import Wizard is the only tool that gives you any feedback on the integrity of the plan and its resources as you use it. The most compelling reason is to see "what's going wrong." So, why continue to ask for a possible cause when the customer is avoiding the only tool that might answer that question?

If avoiding this type of aggravation isn't reason enough for the client to use the recommended tools, then I'm afraid you're fighting a losing battle. Some people simply do not want to be confused with facts after they've made up their minds!

Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:21 PM
  • Hi,

finally I found the reason of this error. I was looking for the answer as if the problem is with the Project Server. But the problem was in the project itself, which was saved to Project Server. The option "Days per month" in that project was set to 0. When I set it to default value - 20, the problem was solved.

After I found the problem I tried to import project to Project Server with an Import Wizard. The only message that was given at the end of import "Edits will not be saved", teling me that edits to enterprise global template are available only in this session.

Do you know if there is any log file saved when project is imported? Because the message doesn't tell whats wrong.

Vygantas

• Proposed as answer by M__D Wednesday, February 08, 2012 10:14 PM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:10 PM
  • Vygantas:

When importing a project, the system doesn't make changes to the Enterprise Global file. It may be that your project contained custom objects that the system could not import into the Enterprise Global, particularly if it was on Project Server once. It may have some enterprise objects copied into it. The point is that the Import Wizard won't let these in. That probably explains the error message which is meaningless in this context.

Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:46 PM