none
Who can change Project Owner? RRS feed

• Question

• Project Server 2010: I'd like to give someone permission to change project owners without making him an administrator. I can't seem to find where that specific permission is controlled. Can anyone tell me how to do this?
    • Edited by WBCO1 Thursday, May 11, 2017 3:55 PM Forgot some info
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 3:02 PM

Answers

• WBC01 --

The simplest way to do this would be to navigate to the Manage Users page and click the name of the user to open their account for editing.  In the Security Categories section of the page, add the My Organization category to the list on the right.  In the Permissions for My Organization data grid, set the Manage Basic Project Security permission to Allow.  Click the Save button when finished.  Following this process should allow the user in question to change the Owner value for every project in your system.

The alternate method would be to create a custom Group named something like Manage Project Owners.  In that Group, you would need to add the My Organization category and set the Manage Basic Project Security permission to Allow, and then you would need to add the user to this new security group.  Either way should work.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by WBCO1 Thursday, May 11, 2017 9:02 PM
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 7:22 PM

All replies

• WBC01 --

The simplest way to do this would be to navigate to the Manage Users page and click the name of the user to open their account for editing.  In the Security Categories section of the page, add the My Organization category to the list on the right.  In the Permissions for My Organization data grid, set the Manage Basic Project Security permission to Allow.  Click the Save button when finished.  Following this process should allow the user in question to change the Owner value for every project in your system.

The alternate method would be to create a custom Group named something like Manage Project Owners.  In that Group, you would need to add the My Organization category and set the Manage Basic Project Security permission to Allow, and then you would need to add the user to this new security group.  Either way should work.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by WBCO1 Thursday, May 11, 2017 9:02 PM
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 7:22 PM
  • Thanks, Dale. I guess the real problem was that I wasn't sure what "Manage Basic Project Security" was really doing.

Since I have an aversion to the application of permissions directly to user accounts, I will follow your second suggestion. It makes things a lot more self-documenting.

Thursday, May 11, 2017 9:02 PM