none
Can't activate Windows Server Essentials 2016 with ProductKey in Technet Evaluation Center RRS feed

• Question

• What is the proper Activation/Install key for Windows Server Essentials 2016 Evaluation?

Downloaded and created ISO - Fails to accept key provided for install:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2016-essentials
    14393.0.160911-2111.RS1_REFRESH_SERVERESSENTIALS_OEM_X64FRE_EN-US
    Product Key: R9N79-23MWD-MBP9B-KHF8Q-C36WX

Installed by choosing "No Key" then unable to activate trial.
    Cannot buy because Microsoft Sales does not have pricing! Online store still sells 2012 R2 Essentials!
    Technical Support was hopeless "Try alternate email address and download again" or placed call on hold until you hang up.

Help!

Saturday, October 15, 2016 11:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that Windows Server 2016 Essentials(evaluation version) failed to be activated using the product key mentioned in “Preinstall information”.

I will report your feedback to relate product team for further confirmation. 

Thank you for your understanding and patience. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 17, 2016 7:00 AM

All replies

• Try this:

Run on cmd: slmgr /?

Check status of your license by: slmgr /dlv

slmgr /ipk, install key

slmgr /ato, activate windows

###################################################

Please click Mark As Answer if my post helped.

• Proposed as answer by Felipe Schulz Thursday, October 17, 2019 3:46 PM
    Sunday, October 16, 2016 1:12 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that Windows Server 2016 Essentials(evaluation version) failed to be activated using the product key mentioned in “Preinstall information”.

I will report your feedback to relate product team for further confirmation. 

Thank you for your understanding and patience. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 17, 2016 7:00 AM
  • I will report your feedback to relate product team for further confirmation.

Any new information when this issue will be fixed? Is it a general problem or only on single machines? Got the error in a VM as well as on a bare metal installation.

I have installed the server without key now - however some functions are not available and I would like to test more.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 4:36 PM
  • Hi, 

Try to use below product key, which may be helpful for continue the installation:
    JCKRF-N37P4-C2D82-9YXRT-4M63B

Appendix A: KMS Client Setup Keys:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612867.aspx

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

• Proposed as answer by zWulli Thursday, October 20, 2016 1:35 AM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016 3:09 AM
  • If you check back on the downloads section for the evaluation Microsoft has released a new/different key for you.  I had the same problem - they seem to be copying/pasting from Server 2012 (because that is the key for Essentials 2012 in your question).

I don't want to post the key in case it changes - but you can find it here: 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2016-essentials

Open up the "Preinstall information" section to get the correct/fresh key.

Cheers!

--Bill

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 7:00 PM
  • I use \upk first After, use your suggestion and work for me Thanks a lot
    Thursday, October 17, 2019 3:47 PM