none
Issues using customized list template are not recognized in Project Center RRS feed

• Question

• There are a few issues in a project but Issue sign on Indicator field of Project Center is missing. In addition, the issues are not imported to Power BI. These missing issues were created in a customized issue list in Project Site (sharepoint connected to PWA) with modified status and category list and added fields. 

There are 5 issues in DI 1 Project.

No Issue sign in Indicator column in Project Center and Power BI.

But if issues are created in default site template, they are recognized in Project Center and Power BI. 

This project issue was created by default Project Site Template.

The Issue sign can be shown in Project Center and Power BI.

In Power BI, there is only one issue form New DI project shown in Issues table, no issues from DI 1 project.

I have no idea what I've done wrong as there is no problem with risks though I have customized Risk list. Please advise how to make the issue data shown in Project Center and Power BI. Thank you.

Sunday, June 9, 2019 9:07 AM

Answers

• Thank you Ben for helping me solving this problem and replying my post many times.

After creating custom issue and risk lists many times, I just solved this missing problem both on Project Center and Power BI. The cause of this problem is that I deleted some default fields of risk list or issue list.

To share my lessons learned in case anyone would also face this situation, I would like to explain the problems I found in the three projects above. The necessity of solving this case is that I use Power BI to create project portfolio dashboard, but the data is missing. This is not the case for whom that use Reports built-in Project Online.

Scenario 1 - DI 1 project - I customized Risk list by only modifying drop down list contents while I had a lot of modification of issue list - delete many default fields and created new ones (not rename from default fields). So, risk icon and data is shown but issue icon and data is missing in Project Center and Power BI.

Scenario 2 - No Template 2 project - I restarted from the default project site. I customized Risk list by deleted some default fields while I modified contents and rename fields in issue list. So, risk icon and data is missing but issue icon and data is shown correctly in Project Center and Power BI.

Scenario 3 - No Template 3 project - I restarted from the default project site. I created risks and issues from the default. So, risk and issue icon and data are shown correctly in Project Center and Power BI.

In conclusion, if anyone would like to customize the Issue and Risk list and would like to get the completed issue and risk records in Power BI, please follow this instruction:

1. Do not delete ANY default fields of Issue or Risk list in List Settings.
    2. You can rename the default fields to a new one.
    3. You can add new columns.
    4. You can modify contents e.g. drop down list
    5. Risk or Issue icon shown in Indicator field at Project Center has a relationship with data sync to Power BI. If risk icon is missing, that means the risk records won't go to Power BI. 

Again, if you don't use Power BI to create reports from Project Online, just ignore his post.

• Marked as answer by Arintra Saturday, June 15, 2019 1:11 PM
    Saturday, June 15, 2019 1:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Arinta,

Only issues (or risks) from the default issues or risks site show the icons and appear in Power BI.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Sunday, June 9, 2019 9:41 PM
  • Hi Ben,

Why is it mutually exclusive, either issues or risks? It is as you said. When I have tried customizing issue template from default site and create a new issue. The issue icon shows on the Project Center. To create a new template site,  I re-customized risk template and create a new risk. The risk icon doesn't come. 

What's its logic to show issues or risks icon? Which one is more priority? It seems depending on which template I customized first.

I may ignore the shown icon on Project Center. But the matter is that the data isn't imported to Power BI, so the number of risks or issues are missing. Risk or issue report is not accurate. We cannot show this to the executives. Please advise how to get the completed issues and risks to Power BI.

Sunday, June 9, 2019 10:48 PM
  • How did you customise the list. If you took the existing list and just modified some of the contents of the fields then this is fine (eg you can modify the drop down list in the category and status fields etc), but if you add new fields then these won't sync into Power BI.   Also, if you change the field names you will have issues with the sync.  Doing either of these things will stop the sync happening from the published tables into the reporting tables and hence into Power BI.  Please publish the project and then check the Queue status, if you get a wss sync error then there are issues with your issues list.

Monday, June 10, 2019 7:51 AM
  • Regarding Issue list, I customized the list in 3 ways - 1) modify the drop down list of existing fields e.g. category, status fields 2) change the field names 3) add new fields. The created issue items can be synchronized to Power BI, except the new added fields which I won't use for reports. 

For Risk list, I only modified the drop down contents. When I firstly created issues, they are sync to Power BI. Then, I created some risks, the risk items are not sync to Power BI even the project was published.

But before that, risks of some projects can be sync to Power BI, but project issues cannot. So, it may not be the issue of how to customize the list. 

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 1:58 AM
  • Please check if the Q job to see if the project you are having problems with publishes successfully.

Also, I am confused, because in the post directly above you contract yourself, saying issues can be synched to Power BI (1st para) and then they cannot be (3rd para).  

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 6:39 AM
  • Sorry for making you confused, let me clarify. I had customized the risk and the issue lists 2 times. The details I mentioned in the 3rd para is the first time that I customized Risk list first and then Issue list. Then, made it a site template. When I created risks and issues, risks are shown in Power BI reports, but not issues.

The one I mentioned in the 1st para is the second time that I customized Risk list first and then Issue list from the default project site. Since I have a problem of project issues sync, I started adjusting Issue list first, then Risk list. For this time, I haven't made it a project site template yet. When I created issues in this project, it can be sync to Power BI, but risks cannot.

In regards to publishing, I found that if the PWA is not published, it doesn't know on the web site. But for sharepoint items, even risks or issues are not published or checked out before editing, the risk or issue icon is shown on PWA.

Friday, June 14, 2019 10:31 AM
  • Okay, so what is the status of the Queue job when you publish the project.

Friday, June 14, 2019 5:35 PM
  • All tasks in queue job are success. 

Friday, June 14, 2019 10:43 PM
  • Fabulous, and just to double check, what happens if you publish the project DI 1 and New DI now.  Does everything still succeed in the Q, or do some things fail?

Friday, June 14, 2019 10:58 PM
  • I had tested deleting New DI and created a new one. The icon and data missing is still there. So far, I use a new project named, No Template 2, with customized Risk list and Issue list and found that the Risk icon and data is missing. When I tested creating a risk in No Template 2 project, other users can see the risk immediately once I saved the risk, no need to publish the project. It seems like the mechanism to publish sharepoint data is not the same as of project data in PWA.

I also created a risk and an issue in DI 1 project, others can see these items once I saved them. Even when I published the project, risks can be sync to Power BI, but not issues.

Saturday, June 15, 2019 12:05 AM
  • I have tried creating a new project - No Template 3 - without any customization Risks and Issues list and without publishing project. The Risk and Issue icons and data are shown correctly in Project Center and Power BI. From this experiment, it seems like I have a problem with customizing Risks and Issues lists.

Saturday, June 15, 2019 5:15 AM
  • Sorry, but I am finding it very difficult to help you because of the contradictions.  Below you say the risk icon and data is missing, but then you create risk, and it is there.  

So far, I use a new project named,  No Template 2, with customized Risk list and Issue list and found that the Risk icon and data is missing. When I tested creating a risk in No Template 2 project, other users can see the risk immediately once I saved the risk,

Re you last post, let me clarify how Project Online works re the default issues and risks list from the project site; as soon as these are saved in the project site, a job is run which synchronises the data into the reporting database, they are then visible to Power BI etc.   

Saturday, June 15, 2019 6:17 AM
  • Thank you Ben for helping me solving this problem and replying my post many times.

After creating custom issue and risk lists many times, I just solved this missing problem both on Project Center and Power BI. The cause of this problem is that I deleted some default fields of risk list or issue list.

To share my lessons learned in case anyone would also face this situation, I would like to explain the problems I found in the three projects above. The necessity of solving this case is that I use Power BI to create project portfolio dashboard, but the data is missing. This is not the case for whom that use Reports built-in Project Online.

Scenario 1 - DI 1 project - I customized Risk list by only modifying drop down list contents while I had a lot of modification of issue list - delete many default fields and created new ones (not rename from default fields). So, risk icon and data is shown but issue icon and data is missing in Project Center and Power BI.

Scenario 2 - No Template 2 project - I restarted from the default project site. I customized Risk list by deleted some default fields while I modified contents and rename fields in issue list. So, risk icon and data is missing but issue icon and data is shown correctly in Project Center and Power BI.

Scenario 3 - No Template 3 project - I restarted from the default project site. I created risks and issues from the default. So, risk and issue icon and data are shown correctly in Project Center and Power BI.

In conclusion, if anyone would like to customize the Issue and Risk list and would like to get the completed issue and risk records in Power BI, please follow this instruction:

1. Do not delete ANY default fields of Issue or Risk list in List Settings.
    2. You can rename the default fields to a new one.
    3. You can add new columns.
    4. You can modify contents e.g. drop down list
    5. Risk or Issue icon shown in Indicator field at Project Center has a relationship with data sync to Power BI. If risk icon is missing, that means the risk records won't go to Power BI. 

Again, if you don't use Power BI to create reports from Project Online, just ignore his post.

• Marked as answer by Arintra Saturday, June 15, 2019 1:11 PM
    Saturday, June 15, 2019 1:11 PM