removing completed tasks from the My Tasks page RRS feed

• Question

• In Project Server 2007, once a task is complete is there a way to remove the task from the My Tasks view (without removing the actual hours).

I know you can limit the tasks in the view by using the 'show only current tasks' filter - is that the only way to not see the compelted task.

Texas Tonie

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 11:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

you can open your plan in Project Professional, add column "Publish" and set this field for completed tasks to No. Publish your plan. Team members will not see these tasks any longer, but they remain in DBs including actual hours.

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 5:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

you can open your plan in Project Professional, add column "Publish" and set this field for completed tasks to No. Publish your plan. Team members will not see these tasks any longer, but they remain in DBs including actual hours.

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 5:32 AM
  • Excellent - thank you Barbara, that is it.

Texas Tonie

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 3:27 PM
  • Hello,

An excellent solution, Barbara. I posted a similar question (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general/thread/89324d26-e0b6-41e7-a7a0-22b8be56e152) but I found the solution (always filter) asked too mucho from the Resources, when in fact I am looking to simplify their work.

To follow with your solution, the value in this column "Publish" (yes/no) would be selected manually, wouldn't it? How could I connect this value with the value of 100 in the "% Completed" column? It is again in the same direction: to make things as automatic as possible for the users.

Thank you (and excuse me, Tonie, for hijacking your threat)

Fabian

Thursday, October 21, 2010 1:00 PM
  • Hi Fabian,

for one customer I wrote a macro using before save to change Publish to No, when % complete =100. However, it is quite a risk, depending on your tracking method. For example, if you are using time per period and user does not change remaining work, a task can be set to 100%, even if it is not true at this time.

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, October 21, 2010 1:05 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

I noticed that I cannot set publish to 'No' at the assignment level. So if one team member has complted his/her part of the asignment and another user is still plodding away, I cannot un-publish the completed assignment and will have to wait for the other assignment to complete.

Is there a way around this item.

Thank you for assistance in advance.

Texas Tonie

Thursday, November 4, 2010 4:50 AM
  • Hi,

if you only want to hide some assignments, the only way I can think of, is changing assignment owner for these assignments. You can change that in Project Professional on resource tab of task information or with adding column assignment owner to a usage view. You can use a dummy resource, administrator or anyone else, who will not be annoyed be assignments for another resource.

Does that help?
    Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, November 4, 2010 11:11 AM
  • Hi Barbara

That helps - it is another option at least. I need t othink it through some more.

TT

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 10:13 AM
  • Hello all,

just to continue with the subject, I have used the macro described here http://projectserverblogs.com/?p=3273, and it worked fine. The only question would be how to make it to run automatically each time a project is saved/closed. Could you, Barbara, or someone else, give us some tip? Or, at least to redirect us where it is described?

Thank you again

Fabian

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 10:52 AM
  • Hi Fabian,

Jack describes how to use project events at http://masamiki.com/project/project_open.htm. You will need to use BeforeSave and apply your changes in EnterpriseGolbal (and not only in your activeproject). Since this will run on any save, perhaps you should catch save of ETP and Enterprise Resource Pool. I suggest to implement first in Global.mpt (locally), until everythings runs as you expect it to do and move your code to Enterprise Global when you are finished.

Does that help?
    Barbara

Thursday, January 20, 2011 8:53 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

thank you very much for your help. The explanation at Jack's blog is very clear and your tips were needed too. I did not get, however, your sentence "you should catch save of ETP and Enterprise Resource Pool". What is ETP? Do you mean I should make a backup of the Enterprise Resource Pool every time the macro is ran? I find it would be too much, as it wil be used frequently.

And I was wondering of making the automatic run pre-publishing, instead of pre-saving, to reduce the runs. In Jack's blog is not mentioned any BeforePublishing, I imagine because it is on Project Standard focussed, not on Project Professional + Server. Does it exist such a "BeforePublishing"? is it practicable that approach?

Thank you for your help again, and sorry Tonie for hijacking your thread

Best regards,

Fabian

Thursday, January 20, 2011 9:14 AM
  • Hi Fabian,

I am not aware of any BeforePublish, sorry.

OK, my explanation of my concern was not that good ;-). I suggest to make sure, that no action is taken on BeforeSave, if your ActiveProject are Checked Out Ressources or Checked Out Enterprise Global. I can't tell you the exact names for these "projects", since they depend on installation language.

Does that make it more clear?
    Barbara

Thursday, January 20, 2011 9:35 AM
  • Hello again,

yes Barbara, now I understood what you meant. I am doing some tests on the subject and I have some more questions, but as I feel they go beyond the subject this thread, I will open a new one at the Project Customization and Programming Forum (although there the proportion of unanswered questions is very depressing).

Best regards,

Fabian

Monday, January 24, 2011 11:48 AM
  • Thanks Barbara!

Just what we needed!

Rob

rob

Thursday, March 1, 2012 7:14 PM
  • Barbara, way to go! (as the American's would say!)

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Friday, March 2, 2012 7:48 AM