none
MS Project 2016, Multiple Baselines and Bar Styles RRS feed

• Question

• Working in Project 2016, I've added a baseline, and then added baseline1 after one task finished late and reset our plan so that other following tasks will not show late going forward. 

The tasks that should have the new baseline1 are showing bar style Completed, Late Start/Finish as I update the actual dates which match the baseline1 dates. Also for any task not started it show bar style Late. Can someone review my bar styles and tell me if I need to change how it is reading the task?

Also, I did update the Advanced Option to calculate EV from Baseline1. 

I have the following bar styles established: 

Task, on track: Normal,Not Finished,Not Started,Active,Not Manually Scheduled; From Task Start to Task Finish 

Late: Normal,Late,Active; From Scheduled Start to Scheduled Finish

Completed, On Time: Normal,Started On Time,Finished On Time,Not Manually Scheduled; From Actual Start to Actual Finish

Completed, On Time Start, Late Finish: Normal,Finished Late,Started On Time; From Actual Start to Actual Finish

Completed, Late Start, Late Finish: Started Late,Finished Late; From Actual Start to Actual Finish

• Edited by CK Hamilton Friday, August 9, 2019 9:59 PM spelling error
    Friday, August 9, 2019 9:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am sorry. There is a misunderstanding for "Status". Status is not related to Baselines at all. Late/On Schedule/Complete/… are calculated based on the progress (% Complete).

Every task with no progress until "today" will be late. Every task with Start date in future will be "Future Task", …

See my sample below. Task 5 and 6 are both scheduled from last Monday to next Friday (I made Saturday to be a working day to be able to screenshot On Schedule today). Task 5 has progress until today, therefore it is "On Schedule". Task 6 has progress until mid of the week, so it is late - no progress until today.

If you want to compare your schedule with any baseline, the easiest way is to enable baseline in Format tab.

I am sure that you can get the colors as you want to, using some flag fields with formulas. But to be honest, I don't understand what you want to see as your definition for Late/On Schedule/… If you could elaborate, I will try to write the appropriate formulas.

Regards
    Barbara

Barbara Henhapl Blog (English/German)

Saturday, August 10, 2019 7:00 AM
  • Thanks Barbara. <o:p></o:p>

The example I have listed is showing the status bar "Completed, Late Start, Late Finish" (Orange) even though the actual start and finish dates match the second baseline . I want the status bar for "Completed, On Time" (Green) to appear when the actuals match the second baseline.<o:p></o:p>

Is this occurring because the task wasn't updated until last week and Project is real time?

<o:p></o:p>

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 1:22 PM
  • Hopefully Barbara doesn't mind if I just in here.  Late Start, Late Finish are calculated values based upon the critical path, have zero relationship with the baseline, and are set to equal actual start and actual finish accordingly depending upon the progress of the task. What I am hearing is that if the start date = baseline 2 start date, and the finish date = baseline 2 finish date, then you would like a GREEN bar displayed on the gantt chart? If this is the case, it's pretty easy to do :) 

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 2:25 PM
  • That is correct Ben. Can you help me with getting the bar to display correctly?

Every task is critical with Zero days of slack. I was hopeful that issuing a new baseline would "reset" the project so any task on time from that point forward would show as Completed, On Time. 

• Edited by CK Hamilton Thursday, August 15, 2019 1:45 PM update
    Tuesday, August 13, 2019 2:50 PM