none
Capacity Line - PWA > Resource Center > Resource Availability RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

here is an easy one... Can someone help refresh my memory... with regards to EPM version 2010, when in PWA > Resource Center > Resource Availability...

When toggling resources in the Resource Availability's legend, did the capacity line in the various histogram views adjust accordingly or was/ is it static?

In Project Online, with the Resource Request/ Engagement feature enabled I noticed that the capacity line does not adjust/ change (ie., it is static).  I could swear that it use to adjust in previous versions of PWA when I used to toggle the resource names within the legend of the PWA > Resource Center > Resource Availability views.  Please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

\Spiro Theopoulos, Montreal, QC (Canada)

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 9:55 PM

Answers

• Spiro --

Yes, the Capacity line used to adjust based on which resources were selected.  With only one resource selected who had a Max. Units value of 100%, the Capacity line would show 8 hours per day.  With three people selected, all of whom have a Max. Units value of 100%, the Capacity line would show 24 hours per day.

In Project Online, the Capacity line shows the total number for all of the resources in the view, even if you only have one resource selected.  I find this new functionality frustrating and wonder aloud if this is a bug.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 10:06 PM

All replies

• Spiro --

Yes, the Capacity line used to adjust based on which resources were selected.  With only one resource selected who had a Max. Units value of 100%, the Capacity line would show 8 hours per day.  With three people selected, all of whom have a Max. Units value of 100%, the Capacity line would show 24 hours per day.

In Project Online, the Capacity line shows the total number for all of the resources in the view, even if you only have one resource selected.  I find this new functionality frustrating and wonder aloud if this is a bug.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 10:06 PM
  • Thank you!!!

I thought I was losing my mind. LOL

I am trying to address this matter with Microsoft support... I will keep you posted.

• Edited by Spiro Theopoulos Wednesday, March 9, 2016 10:14 PM additional details added
    Wednesday, March 9, 2016 10:08 PM
  • Is this true as well for Project Server 2016?
    Monday, January 15, 2018 4:40 PM
  • Spiro,

Did you find any more information about this from Microsoft? This is still an issue today and I'm wondering if it is a feature, a bug, or something that can be changed with a setting.
    Thursday, January 24, 2019 3:26 PM
  • Hi Eric

Apparently, and unfortunately it is not considered a bug... I have voted to change this situation, so should you weigh in... see user voice:

https://microsoftproject.uservoice.com/forums/218133-microsoft-project/suggestions/17290286-capacity-not-changing-in-chart-when-resource-is-hi

Regards,

Thursday, January 24, 2019 10:52 PM
  • Unfortunately, yes, it is true.

See my previous reply to Eric for more info... go vote to have this changed/ fixed!!

Thursday, January 24, 2019 10:53 PM
  • Hey Spiro,

That is pretty unfortunate, because it definitely seems like it would be a bug. If the bar graph changes as you hide resources, why wouldn't the total capacity change accordingly?

Microsoft makes some... confusing decisions at times, but I also added my vote to have this changed.
    Monday, January 28, 2019 1:49 PM