none
Hyper-V 2016: Unable to expand VHDX in windows 2016 cluster and while powering down VM, it gets stuck in stopping state

Discussão Geral

• Hello, 

I am experiencing an ongoing issue with Hyper-V 2016, when I try to expand a VHDX via Failover Cluster Manager or Hyper-V Manager the expansion does not complete. Furthermore, when I attempt to stop the virtual machine the machine hangs at stopping and becomes unmanageable, this is happening on Hyper-V 2016 and the virtual machine is running Windows Server 2016

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue with Hyper-V 2016?

Thanks!

segunda-feira, 19 de junho de 2017 18:29

Todas as Respostas

• Have the same issue!

It ocured on cluster AND on standalone hyper-v server!

Looks like a bug?!

terça-feira, 22 de agosto de 2017 17:52
  • Any update on your issue?

We have an open premier case with M$, but at this time we are still in the same place

Thanks

terça-feira, 17 de outubro de 2017 16:50
  • Yep can confirm this too for HV-Cluster 2016 - but at this time only if the running vm is also SRV 2016 !

After two days it locks down the cluster - pay attention guys!!!

work around in my case is to do it offline aka power down!

//EDIT

WORKAROUND / 1st Aid

If you expand the vhdx and the process never finish, DONT STOP IT !!! Leave it as it is, evacuate the Node and just reboot it - otherwise your cluster locks down like mine did and u have to reboot the whole cluster, forced with pstools!

After reboot you should be able to expand it (in my case it doesn´t matter if the machine is running or not!)

• Editado XotusBlack quinta-feira, 26 de outubro de 2017 16:14
    quinta-feira, 26 de outubro de 2017 15:52
  • Hi, guys!

We got same issue (Windows Server 2016 Cluster and standalone, VMs with 2012 R2 guest). Is there any news?

Btw what backup software you are using? Does it use CBT/RCT? And what size of VHD you are expanding (more than 2 TB)?

terça-feira, 13 de março de 2018 11:05
  • Yep, I'm getting the same issue here on a Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V cluster.  

Most of the time the disk expansion operations work fine.  I've done a total of about 15 operations so far and on 3 occasions it has locked up.  After you hit finish on the Edit Virtual Hard Disk Wizard, the progress bar never advances even after waiting 24+ hours.  As others have said, the only fix seems to be to reboot the host.  

quarta-feira, 13 de junho de 2018 15:29