none
VMware ESXi VM gets the same Disk Drive (G:\) marked dirty when a snapshot is created, then the snapshot is later deleted

Pergunta

• We have an ESXi VM running Windows Server 2008 whose disk drive G:\ becomes corrupt each time we create a snapshot, then later delete the snapshot through vSphere.  Running chkdsk during the next restart always corrects the corruption, but this is a production email server that we can't afford to continue to experience corruption on customer's email storage drive.

The System Event Log shows NTFS EventID:130 "The file system structure on volume G: has now been repaired".  This event is followed within a few minutes by an NTFS EventID: 55 "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable.  Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume New Mail."

VMWare requested I open a case with Microsoft, but I wanted to try here first to see if there might be some answers gained.

segunda-feira, 14 de maio de 2018 20:58

Todas as Respostas

• Hi MikeMcTee,

Based on my knowledge, for general physical server , if the error 130 and error55 show system, they indicate that  the file system structure on the hard disk has been corrupted or damaged by a software or hardware malfunction.

So we could usually use chkdsk to verify the integrity of the hard drive and make sure that a backup of the data is taken regularly.

In your scenario, it's in the VMware ESXi platform, not sure if it still shows the same problem. If you nor save your VM on your G drive, does it show the same error? (Please also consult with VMware side, if this operation is allowed).  And if after that, confirm with VMware, it is still same problem (when you move to another drive).

I'm suggest you  could consider to contact Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) for dedicated support.

It is also appreciated that the other members in our forum can share their experience with us about this scenario.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request, please refer to the website listed below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/worldwide.aspx

Appreciate your support and understanding.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

terça-feira, 15 de maio de 2018 05:37
    Moderador
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

quarta-feira, 16 de maio de 2018 07:22
    Moderador
  • In the past it was thought there was possibly something wrong with the actual "disk" (although it's really not a particular disk when it's a VM), so we moved all of the files from the original disk (F:\) to the new disk (G:\).  The same issue had been occurring when these files were on F:\, and they continued to occur on G:\.

I do have a case opened with VMWare, but they suggested that I also get some communication going with Microsoft, so I thought that I would try here first.

mikemctee

quarta-feira, 16 de maio de 2018 12:02
  • Hi Mikemctee,

In your current scenario, I would suggest you open a case with MS, so that a dedicated Support could help you analysis in details.

Appreciate your support and understanding.

Best Regards,

Mary

quinta-feira, 17 de maio de 2018 03:14
    Moderador