none
No Feature Upgrades in WSUS

Pergunta

• Hi everyone.

I've been having an issue for quite sometime now. All of our client PCs are running Windows 10 1607 and I want to upgrade them to 1703 but the WSUS console is not showing any results if I search for "feature upgrades" or try to view any upgrades for the upgrades classification. I've installed KB3095113 and gone through the process of deleting upgrades from the WID then resync. I've gone through the KB3159706 process too. Both of those are showing as installed

The "upgrades" classification is syncing. As well as "Windows 10/Windows 10 LTSB/Windows 10 Feature on-demand/Windows 10 Dynamic Update" products

I've been able to distribute cumulative updates for 1607 but cant even see any upgrades to approve. I'm a bit lost on what to do now.

WSUS is running on Server 2012 R2 and WSUS version is 6.3.9600.18694

Thanks in advance.

quinta-feira, 17 de maio de 2018 05:44

Todas as Respostas

• Hi Michael.G.M,

You could not find any results if you search for "feature upgrades" even if there are upgrade 1703 in your WSUS. Please search for 'Feature update to Windows 10 Pro, version 1703’ as below image and approval this update for upgrade.

Hope the above information helps.

Best Regards

Tina Cao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

quinta-feira, 17 de maio de 2018 09:59
  • Hi Tina,

I will try that tomorrow, but I'm not confident it will work because even setting up an update view to show all from "upgrades" and showing "any except decline" and "any" like you have in the screenshot I was not able to see any results.

Thanks,

quinta-feira, 17 de maio de 2018 14:54
  • Yep definitely no search results for keywords "Feature update" or "Feature update for Windows 10 Pro".
    sexta-feira, 18 de maio de 2018 00:23
  • Hi Michael.G.M,

In my environment, I just select the ‘Windows 10’ product, then I could find the upgrade in my WSUS. That might be some problem with your WSUS. Please click ‘Synchronize Now’ in your WSUS console and see whether something go wrong and you can use Windowsupdate. Log for check.

Hope this could help you.

Best Regards

Tina Cao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

sexta-feira, 18 de maio de 2018 03:13
  • I've setup a clean fresh install of Server 2016 and added the WSUS role. Synced with our upstream wsus. No upgrades. Synced with Microsoft update. Still no upgrades. No idea whats going on. On the update summary page its just showing 0 for any of the computer statuses.

I assume server 2016 with wsus that upgrades should just work straight out the box? no special config needed or anything?

sábado, 19 de maio de 2018 16:29
  • Hi Michael.G.M,

Maybe you can try to import the upgrades to your WSUS. For example, if you want to import Windows 10 version 1703 (KB4103722) to your WSUS, you can try right-click the update and click import updates as below image, then search KB4103722 in Microsoft update catalog and add the version you need.

Please refer to this link to select the Windows 10 version KB number. Hope above information helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4103722

Best Regards

Tina Cao

quarta-feira, 23 de maio de 2018 09:22
  • Hi Tina,

KB4103722 is in the "update" classification, that would already be available and don't need to import. From my understanding, the feature updates have no KB number and not available through the MS update catalog.

I can apply cumulative updates to 1607, but not go from 1607 to 1703.

Regards,

Michael

quarta-feira, 23 de maio de 2018 13:32
  • Use WAM and run

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -DirtyDatabaseCheck

Only do this a single time as MS has changed some things and it will always report the database as dirty now. Also be aware that the DirtyDatabaseCheck has a bug in it (fixed in the next version to be released June 1st) that declines and wipes out All Windows 10 updates - so you'll have to pull in the latest CU afterwards from the Windows Update Catalog.

Please have a look at the WSUS Automated Maintenance (WAM) system. It is an automated maintenance system for WSUS, the last system you'll ever need to maintain WSUS!

https://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/2998-wsus-automated-maintenance-formerly-adamj-clean-wsus

What it does:

1. Add WSUS Index Optimization to the database to increase the speed of many database operations in WSUS by approximately 1000-1500 times faster.
    2. Remove all Drivers from the WSUS Database (Default; Optional).
    3. Shrink your WSUSContent folder's size by declining multiple types of updates including by default any superseded updates, preview updates, expired updates, Itanium updates, and beta updates. Optional extras: Language Packs, IE7, IE8, IE9, IE10, Embedded, NonEnglishUpdates, ComputerUpdates32bit, WinXP.
    4. Remove declined updates from the WSUS Database.
    5. Clean out all the synchronization logs that have built up over time (configurable, with the default keeping the last 14 days of logs).
    6. Compress Update Revisions.
    7. Remove Obsolete Updates.
    8. Computer Object Cleanup (configurable, with the default of deleting computer objects that have not synced within 30 days).
    9. Application Pool Memory Configuration to display the current private memory limit and easily set it to any configurable amount including 0 for unlimited. This is a manual execution only.
    10. Checks to see if you have a dirty database, and if you do, fixes it. This is primarily for Server 2012 WSUS, and is a manual execution only.
    11. Run the Recommended SQL database Maintenance script on the actual SQL database.
    12. Run the Server Cleanup Wizard.

It will email the report out to you or save it to a file, or both.

Although the script is lengthy, it has been made to be super easy to setup and use so don't over think it. There are some prerequisites and instructions at the top of the script. After installing the prerequisites and configuring the variables for your environment (email settings only if you are accepting all the defaults), simply run:

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -FirstRun

If you wish to view or increase the Application Pool Memory Configuration, or run the Dirty Database Check, you must run it with the required switch. See Get-Help .\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -Examples

If you're having trouble, there's also a -HelpMe option that will create a log so you can send it to me for support.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

quinta-feira, 24 de maio de 2018 22:16