none
Offline Files

Pergunta

• Hallo,

Can anyone tell me how the CSC cache is loaded ? What happens when it is full ? Is there a Round Robin strategy for populating the cache (this is, in case of full cache, the oldest files are dropped and replaced by newer) ?

Is it a good strategy to purge the cache at log-off time ?

aldo.domini@libero.it

terça-feira, 10 de julho de 2018 06:21

Todas as Respostas

• Hi,

Files that were cached automatically are removed on a least-recently used basis if the maximum cache size is reached.

I recommend you refer to the following article to configure the default cache size for offline files:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/configure-default-offline-cache-files

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

You can try to configure “Default cache size” and “Limit disk space used by offline files” in Group Policy Editor:

1 Click “Start”

2 Input “gpedit.msc” in search box and press Enter

3 Go to Local Computer Policy---Computer Configuration---Administrative Templates---Network---Offline Files

4 Configure “Default cache size” and “Limit disk space used by offline files”

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

terça-feira, 10 de julho de 2018 06:48
    Moderador
  • My question arose by noticing some issues strictly connected with CSC corruption in proximity to the situation of "cache-full": typically permission denied and/or file corrupted and/or sync failed etc.

I'm almost sure about the CSC corruption because I simply reset the cache and all begun working again, of course till the next cache-full situation.

For this reason I wanted first reset the CSC cache on log-off. I feel if I had to keep synced a 1 TB file server might be an issue and the FIFO strategy doesnt work as expected, right ?

aldo.domini@libero.it

terça-feira, 10 de julho de 2018 09:21
  • Hi,

Based on my knowledge, as said before since the cache size management mechanism, if files that were cached automatically are removed on a least-recently used basis if the maximum cache size is reached.

>typically permission denied and/or file corrupted and/or sync failed
    I'm afraid that may need to analyze the issue with actual conditions. We couldn't say full cache size would  definitely cause CSC corruption

In general there should be the error message or event in the event viewer if something wrong.

But if CSC corruption, in general reset could fix this.

And here are some scenarios, you could also take a look.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/67d36d92-b630-45c5-82ce-6e89c5892cbf/windows-7-offline-files-do-not-sync-real-time-while-online?forum=w7itpronetworking

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/2e3a6278-e572-4b0b-9bc6-219ad2e2210b/sync-fails-on-redirected-folders?forum=winserverfiles

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/6b921b88-87e8-4b24-b49c-45b111624050/windows-7-offline-cache-corrupt?forum=w7itprogeneral

Best Regards,

Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

quarta-feira, 11 de julho de 2018 02:27
    Moderador
  • Something "very strange happens" and I had lossed data too.

I turned on Advanced Logging and we will see what happens - anyway the effect I'm experiencing is possible data loss neat to a cache-full situation

aldo.domini@libero.it

quinta-feira, 12 de julho de 2018 06:48
  • Hi,

Thanks for sharing your scenario.

You could keep monitoring your offline files. And collect the error/warning when something wrong. If you get new information about your issue please feel free to contact us.

It is also appreciate other members in our forum could share more ideas about such scenario.

Best Regards,

Mary

quinta-feira, 12 de julho de 2018 09:37
    Moderador
  • Hi !

Here is my complete Scenario where I experienced Data loss:

1) File Server 20012 R2 - Size of the Share around 900 GB

2) Client both Windows 7

3) Nature of the Lost Files: CATIA (a common high end CAD/CAM system) - You coluld  think a CAD file as an Excel having several links to other external Excel file and the situation would be the same as Opening an Excel File trough the explore shell and "Excel itself" had to automatically open all the referenced Excel files (linked to it).

4) When the cache is full what happens the following: The Excel file (=CAD in my case) is OK, but some of the referenced filed are not present in the CSC and are deleted on the server (THIS ONE IS THE DISASSTER) - if I go and see in the Sync center I see an error related with failed Syncronization due to cache full and I am asked to increase the size of the cache itself (I just activated advenced features in eventvwr for monitoring events)

thanx for the support

aldo.domini@libero.it

quinta-feira, 12 de julho de 2018 12:07
  • Hi,

>if I go and see in the Sync center I see an error related with failed Syncronization due to cache full and I am asked to increase the size of the cache itself (I just activated advenced features in eventvwr for monitoring events

If it is in such scenario, I'm afraid you may re-initialize the offline file to do a check.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/08738d68-271c-49ed-bb8d-db04947497a7/sync-error?forum=w7itpronetworking

And I suggest you could also confirm in windows 7 forum about Sync Center  in the windows client

Best Regards,

Mary

sexta-feira, 13 de julho de 2018 01:35
    Moderador
  • Hi,

If you have the updates, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

Mary

quarta-feira, 18 de julho de 2018 06:51
    Moderador
  • Good Moring,

I have some updates and this is the situation:

1) Of course I need a relatively large cache just because we are working on large files 

2) I set up the "DefaultCacheSize" via GPO to 20% of Disk Space

3) Surprise: On clients when I enter to Sync Center I see that the limits are different !

This one is my Analysis:

a) The GPO set correctly the key: HKLM\Software\Policies\Windows\NetCache\DefCacheSize

The concept here is: It modifies the default cache size -> for example, in my case 20% of the DiskSpace.

What I'm Expecting from this ? -> I'm expecting to see the value in Sync Center of 20% of Space, right ?

BUT I see that there is influence on this value, everything I set the DefCacheSize !! It happens both on WIndow 7 and Windows 10. IS IT A BUG ?

b) I tried to change the limits manually on a Windows 7 machine and I monitored with "ProcessMonitor", I suppose the procedure fails anyway caused by a missed registry key called "HKLM\Software\Policies\Windows\NetCache\DefCacheSize\CacheQuotaLimit" 

c) Anyone can say me if I can rely on OfflineForders in a production Environment ?

Thanx

Aldo

aldo.domini@libero.it

sexta-feira, 27 de julho de 2018 07:02
  • Sorry:

"BUT I see that there is NO influence on this value, everything I set the DefCacheSize !! It happens both on WIndow 7 and Windows 10. IS IT A BUG ?"

aldo.domini@libero.it

sexta-feira, 27 de julho de 2018 08:47
  • Hi,

I'm afraid you may need to contact the CSS to confirm this. 

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request, please refer to the website listed below:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/worldwide.aspx
    Appreciate your support and understanding.
    Best Regards,
    Mary

segunda-feira, 30 de julho de 2018 07:44
    Moderador
  • Hallo,

I've found the answer:

The GPO "DefaultCacheSize", works only for Windows XP, 2003 and 2000 - sorry I haven't read it so carefully in the documentation, it is my Mistake !

Note: When I asked about

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\NetCache\CacheQuotaLimit
    HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\NetCache\CacheQuotaLimitUnpinned

While monitoring the interface of SyncCenter, it's normal - it searches the exsistence of theese Keys and if not found it uses the defaults - the way to go is configure the GPO "Limit the Space used by offlinefiles" (THIS GPO IS SUPPORTED ON MODERN O.S: !!!!)

aldo.domini@libero.it

terça-feira, 31 de julho de 2018 14:09
  • Hi,

Glad that you figure out and thanks for sharing it.

Best Regards,

Mary

quarta-feira, 1 de agosto de 2018 01:19
    Moderador
  • Good Morning,

While wandering across the internals of Offlinefiles I came across another issue:

My intention was to write a script for gathering informations about CSC in my domain clients and I wanted to leverage the WMI provider features.

The class Win32_OfflineFilesFileSysInfo at first glance seemed to be perfect, but it seems to not be working:

If I launch (in PowerShell): gwmi -query "select  * from Win32_OfflineFilefFileSysInfo"  I get an empty result.

Of course the machines I launche the command against have correctly configured and working OfflineFiles and this happens on all my Windows 7 and Windows 10 computers.

Any suggestions ?

Thanx for the support

aldo.domini@libero.it

quarta-feira, 1 de agosto de 2018 06:42