none
2 node SQL cluster cant drain the roles from node1 but fail-over works proper

Întrebare

• Hi Guys,

I have 2x  2012 R2 nodes in a cluster for SQL. This works fine and the role can be switched between nodes no problem and users keep on accessing the databases.

I have 2 nics on each node, no teaming, 1 x client access and 1 x heartbeat/cluster

I have been asked to implement CAU and it works fine up until the point where it tries to drain the roles from node 1 and fails. It does the whole run on node 2, reboots it applies updates and reports back so all good there, but node 1 fails.

Event viewer ID shows 1127 saying that my heartbeat NIC has failed, but it hasn't because I can ping the other node over the heartbeat network. They are connected with a crossover cable so there is no switching/routing to consider here. Physical examination shows both node 1 and node 2 heartbeat nics lit and flashing.

I also get event IDs 1129 heartbeat network is partitioned, and 1130 heartbeat network is down.

This is really upsetting me because everything looks good and I cant work out the issue.

I can validate the network within the cluster management MMC and it is all green apart from 1 thing, but I dont believe it is relevant to my issue:

The RegisterAllProvidersIP property for network name 'Name: MXXXX-BI-SQL' is set to 1. For the current cluster configuration this value should be set to 0.

Please can anyone shed any light upon this?

Thanks in advance Tom.

10 mai 2018 10:20

Toate mesajele

• "They are connected with a crossover cable so there is no switching/routing to consider here. "

Is this cluster a domain-based cluster?  If so, and the cluster communication network is simply a cross-over cable, how does the cluster communication network communicate with the domain controller?

Although this appears to be an issue with the cluster software because SQL continues to run, you may want to pose your question in the SQL DR and HA forum at https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home?forum=sqldisasterrecovery.  SQL is unique enough that it often takes the knowledge of SQL experts in clustering to understand some of its nuances in a clustered environment.

tim

11 mai 2018 12:24