none
Question About S2D Columns While Using Cache Mode

Întrebare

• I read through the "Understanding the Cache" but cannot find any answer about columns and cache.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/storage-spaces/understand-the-cache 

Does cache affects columns at all? If I have 6 capacity drives per server I can still do 6 columns per virtual disk, correct? I am not limited to 3 columns because each cache drive caches for 3 capacity drives?

Though not in a cached setup, I found some benchmarks here showing that going from 4 to 8 columns actually gives 300% performance increase, not just 2x: http://www.miru.ch/why-column-size-does-matter-with-storage-spaces/ 

miercuri, 13 iunie 2018 16:50

Răspunsuri

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Does cache affects columns at all?  

Not, there is no direct relationship between columns and cache. 

If I have 6 capacity drives per server I can still do 6 columns per virtual disk, correct?  Yes.

I am not limited to 3 columns because each cache drive caches for 3 capacity drives?    

Not limited, The binding between cache and capacity drives can have any ratio, from 1:1 up to 1:12 and beyond.

If you have other questions, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

joi, 14 iunie 2018 08:20

Toate mesajele

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Does cache affects columns at all?  

Not, there is no direct relationship between columns and cache. 

If I have 6 capacity drives per server I can still do 6 columns per virtual disk, correct?  Yes.

I am not limited to 3 columns because each cache drive caches for 3 capacity drives?    

Not limited, The binding between cache and capacity drives can have any ratio, from 1:1 up to 1:12 and beyond.

If you have other questions, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

joi, 14 iunie 2018 08:20
  • Hi ,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

duminică, 17 iunie 2018 14:30
  • Hi,

How are things going on? Could above reply be of help?

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

marți, 19 iunie 2018 08:17