none
Server 2012 R2 cluster error "An item with the same key has already been added"

Întrebare

• Using the Configure Role option in Failover Cluster Manager on Server 2012 R2.  After selecting Virtual machines from the list, upon enumeration I receive the following error:

"An item with the same key has already been added"

I've looked at other solutions to this issue but they are unrelated.  Some mention firewall configuration and others network card guid on VM.  I can create a blank VM (no operating system and no NIC) with the same results.

This error appears even if there isn't a non-highly available VM to be converted to highly available (which i've run in the past and it will just enumerate nothing).

Tied to this error is the fact that when I do try to create a highly available virtual machine, the wizard completes but the virtual machine is created as non-highly available with no error given.  This is when I tried the Configure Role option and get the error listed above (assuming both are related to each other somehow).

• Editat de hackeld sâmbătă, 1 februarie 2014 12:46 added more detail
    sâmbătă, 1 februarie 2014 12:39

Răspunsuri

• Hi Robert,

No CSVs in use - Fiber Channel presented LUNs and volume GUIDs used.

VMs are created with either WDS (sysprep'd) or straight from ISO.

Mac addresses are unique per running the Get-WmiObject command.

I was able to resolve the issue though in the mean time.  There were two issues. 

One being a clustered VM with a "Configuration Error" in the virtual switch dropdown.  Once this was resolved, I no longer received the "An item with the same key has already been added" error.  However I was still not able to create a highly available VM.  I verified the disk being used was being presented to each of the nodes and upon receiving the error there were absolutely no event logs written.  I did find another disk that was still shown under Failover Cluster Manager->Disks that was not available to the cluster anymore but was still listed.  After I "deleted" this disk I was able to create a highly available VM.

Ultimately it was my fault with not catching those two issues however there were no events written to the event log.  MS at least pop up some message that actually catches those errors or write an event to the event log.

Thank you everyone who looked at this and tried helping out.  Your time and effort is truly appreciated!

luni, 3 februarie 2014 17:38

Toate mesajele

• Where there any warnings/errors in the validation report?

Was the CNO automatically created during the build of the cluster, or did you manually create the CNO?

Could you provide a screen shot of the error?

.:|:.:|:. tim

sâmbătă, 1 februarie 2014 15:43
  • The warnings I get in the validation report are because I have a couple VMs that are currently off.  So I get a warning about not being able to detect integration version, etc related to those VMs that are off.

The CNO was created automatically during the build of the cluster.

I've was able to create HA VMs up until January updates.  I don't know if it was exactly after January updates or just bad coincidence.  This is a production cluster so I can't just uninstall updates to confirm...yet.

sâmbătă, 1 februarie 2014 18:09
  • Hi,

Are you using Veeam backup software? I found the same error on Veem backup support site:

The related third party information:

An item with the same key has already been added Enterprise Manager Error
    http://www.veeam.com/kb1096

Hope this helps.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

luni, 3 februarie 2014 03:09
  • We aren't using Veeam but we do use HP data protector 8.1. We did just upgrade to version 8.1 but were receiving this error prior to this version. And had it working with DP 8.0. I'm leaning towards either a windows update or a specific node that is causing the issue. I will be evicting, testing and re-adding one node at a time to see if it is a specific node.
    • Editat de hackeld luni, 3 februarie 2014 07:55 Fixed grammar
    luni, 3 februarie 2014 07:54
  • HI,

and your CSV are all up no problems there ?

And the VM's are they clones from one master with the same ID ?  in other words did you sysprep the machines?

Are you using unique Mac addresses in the VM's/cluster

So If you are saying it happened after the updates then uninstall the January updates and see if it is working again if it does open a case with product support to fix the problem.

Do you have any cluster log info / event log error

to check if there a duplicated GUID run

Get-WmiObject Win32_NetworkAdapter | fl Name,GUID

Greetings, Robert Smit Follow me @clustermvp http://robertsmit.wordpress.com/ “Please click "Vote As Helpful" if it is helpful for you and Proposed As Answer” Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you

luni, 3 februarie 2014 14:35
  • Hi Robert,

No CSVs in use - Fiber Channel presented LUNs and volume GUIDs used.

VMs are created with either WDS (sysprep'd) or straight from ISO.

Mac addresses are unique per running the Get-WmiObject command.

I was able to resolve the issue though in the mean time.  There were two issues. 

One being a clustered VM with a "Configuration Error" in the virtual switch dropdown.  Once this was resolved, I no longer received the "An item with the same key has already been added" error.  However I was still not able to create a highly available VM.  I verified the disk being used was being presented to each of the nodes and upon receiving the error there were absolutely no event logs written.  I did find another disk that was still shown under Failover Cluster Manager->Disks that was not available to the cluster anymore but was still listed.  After I "deleted" this disk I was able to create a highly available VM.

Ultimately it was my fault with not catching those two issues however there were no events written to the event log.  MS at least pop up some message that actually catches those errors or write an event to the event log.

Thank you everyone who looked at this and tried helping out.  Your time and effort is truly appreciated!

luni, 3 februarie 2014 17:38
  • Hi,

Glad your issue is solved.

But the failing disk should be an error in the event log / cluster event log.

And if you viewed the Validation report it should be there.

Greetings, Robert Smit Follow me @clustermvp http://robertsmit.wordpress.com/ “Please click "Vote As Helpful" if it is helpful for you and Proposed As Answer” Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you

marți, 4 februarie 2014 07:47
  • Hi,

Thanks for the update and I am happy to hear that you have resolved the issue.

I am glad that this issue is solved. Thank you very much for your sharing!

This solution you provided will help lots of people who have similar issues.

Please feel free to ask us if there are any issues in the future.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

marți, 11 februarie 2014 02:48
  • I get this error on a 2016 Hyper-V Failover Cluster.

Could this be caused by this ?

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-ClusterResource -Name "*vroot*"

Name                                     State         OwnerGroup                           ResourceType
    ----                                     -----         ----------                           ------------
    SCVMM vRootCertificate (1)               Offline       SCVMM vRootCertificate Resources (1) Virtual Machine
    SCVMM vRootCertificate (3)               OnlinePending SCVMM vRootCertificate Resources (3) Virtual Machine
    SCVMM vRootCertificate Configuration (1) OnlinePending SCVMM vRootCertificate Resources (1) Virtual Machine Configur...
    SCVMM vRootCertificate Configuration (3) Online        SCVMM vRootCertificate Resources (3) Virtual Machine Configur...

I got this VM messed up real good - so I figure out that might be the reason - right?

luni, 14 mai 2018 23:07
  • You posted a new question to a thread that was marked as answered more than two years ago.  You should open a new thread with a new question.

Secondly, it appears that you are using SCVMM in your solution.  SCVMM introduces many of its own unique requirements and solutions that are different from management within a simple clustering environment.  You should post questions to the SCVMM forum.  There are several forums dedicated to various SCVMM topics.  The one dedicated to clustering issues with SCVMM is https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=virtualmachinemgrclustering

tim

marți, 15 mai 2018 12:34