none
During a cluster failover event does a read-write domain controller need to be available

Întrebare

• Hello, can someone please advise on the following

If I have a branch office with 'only' read-only domain controllers

I also have a Microsoft 2012 R2, with SQL always-on clustering setup

if the connection back to my main office (and therefore back to any read-write domain controllers), if 'offline' when a cluster failover event occurs, are any records updated in AD (including DNS records) are part of the failover event ?

If so and only read-write domain controllers are available, I assume the failover event will not occur/fail ?

Please advice, thank very much

joi, 5 iulie 2018 12:06

Răspunsuri

• Should have no issues with a running cluster.  Creating a cluster does require access to a r/w domain.

DNS is not part of AD.  It can be integrated into AD so that it uses the same replication mechanisms, but it is not part of either r/o or r/w AD.  Besides, a failover does not make changes to DNS.  The resource may change nodes, but the resource IP address remains the same.

tim

• Marcat ca răspuns de CAshtones vineri, 6 iulie 2018 13:38
    joi, 5 iulie 2018 12:50

Toate mesajele

• Should have no issues with a running cluster.  Creating a cluster does require access to a r/w domain.

DNS is not part of AD.  It can be integrated into AD so that it uses the same replication mechanisms, but it is not part of either r/o or r/w AD.  Besides, a failover does not make changes to DNS.  The resource may change nodes, but the resource IP address remains the same.

tim

• Marcat ca răspuns de CAshtones vineri, 6 iulie 2018 13:38
    joi, 5 iulie 2018 12:50
  • Thanks Tim

I just wanted to check, of so example if needed to update a DNS record as part of the failover or something else.

Thanks for the clarification

Charlie

vineri, 6 iulie 2018 13:38
  • "f needed to update a DNS record as part of the failover"

Don't know how that would ever happen, unless you wrote your own resource that did something strange like that.

tim

sâmbătă, 7 iulie 2018 12:21