none
Cluster Setup and migrating VMS

Întrebare

• Hi all, 
    I am new to clustering and can definitely use your help.

Here is  my old set up 5 hosts each of them have around 4 vms 

Uploaded setup images in following link:

https://imgur.com/a/mFvZrnV

I have created a cluster by following these links

http://www.msserverpro.com/implementing-failover-clustering-windows-server-2016-hyper-v/

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/50774.deployment-of-a-hyper-v-failover-cluster-using-powershell.aspx

Here is the set up according to my understanding, please correct me if I have anything misconfigured or wrong architecture 
    I know that for 6 nodes one iSCSI target is a single point of failure but its temporary for now. ( I also feel  if I have alot of vms running on the nodes the target server will be a single point of failure

I am trying to export some of the VMS from the old set up to test them out on the cluster by export the vms 
    But I am having problems moving them to the shared volumes C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1 (CSV1)

The folder are 80 Gbs and take forever copying from an external harddrive to the CSV

Is there a better way to insert the old hosts drives into the iSCSI targer and putting them directly to F:\iSCSIVirtualDisks\CSV1? 

Also what is the correct way of importing the vms ? using hyper v on one of the nodes and then configuring them as a VM role in failover cluster manager ? 
    or add them directly as a new VM role in failover cluster manager?

I Hope I phrased everything in a clear way, let me know if I have any missing info.
    Thanks in advance 

4 iunie 2018 17:00

Toate mesajele

• Hello,

You can use Hyper-V Manager to move a running VM to a new Hyper-V Host. After you migrated the VM you can add the VM to the cluster with the Failover Cluster Manager tool as you already mention. The migration time depends on your storage performance, but with live migration your VM will be online while moving. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/manage/use-live-migration-without-failover-clustering-to-move-a-virtual-machine

You will need to enable Live Migration on your Hyper-V Hosts and configure Constrained Delegation if you are going to initiate a move from your management computer. 

feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

4 iunie 2018 18:46
  • I need to make a copy of some vms first make sure my cluster is working correctly before migrating completely I also do not have both set ups on the same network so this would net help me
    5 iunie 2018 14:01
  • Then you will need to use export/import option. 

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

5 iunie 2018 18:09
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

8 iunie 2018 09:33
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

14 iunie 2018 08:34