none
Explorer crashes when node reboots

Întrebare

• Hi,

I have a two node files server cluster.  When one of the nodes reboots the explorer on our Windows 7 clients crashes and users loose all of their desktop icons.  The clients are domain joined and using redirected folders on the File cluster shares.

Is there and obvious reason or any recommended steps to check?

Thanks

Chris

vineri, 13 iulie 2018 09:30

Toate mesajele

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Please check my understanding of your situations in this issue if it is correct. Are your windows clients’ logon files and user profiles stored in the cluster shares? They are redirected folders to the storage with iSCSI or SAN?  If I misunderstand, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

Based on my experience, there’s the issue on the cluster shares of storage or its connectivity with the cluster nodes. Please check it first.

Please also check the event viewer on the cluster for more error message so that we could find more clue.

Hope this helps. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

luni, 16 iulie 2018 08:05
  • Hi Michael,

Yes the storage connection is on iSCSI and on the storage are redirected folders along with the roaming profiles.

Chris

luni, 16 iulie 2018 09:15
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Is there any error message of the Event Viewer on the working cluster node?

Please also check the roaming profiles setting and their direction path. 

If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

marți, 17 iulie 2018 09:19
  • Hi,

How are things going on? Was your issue resolved?

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

joi, 19 iulie 2018 04:02
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Michael

duminică, 22 iulie 2018 09:30
  • Also, check your networking.  When you reboot a cluster node, we will send a gratuitous ARP out for the clustered name and IP Address saying the MAC address for the IP Address no longer exists.  When the name and IP Address come online, we send a gratuitous ARP out saying the IP Address is located here on this MAC Address.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/244331/mac-address-changes-for-virtual-server-during-a-failover-with-clusteri

Explorer should not crash.  At worst, it should give a "network path not found error".  If it crashed, it may have created a user dump of the Explorer process.  You can then review that dump, if familiar with debugging user mode crashes, or open a case with Microsoft Support and let them review it.

Thanks, John Marlin Microsoft Program Manager

luni, 23 iulie 2018 16:25