none
Server 2008 to Server 2012 R2 Migration using failover DC Fail

Întrebare

• Dear All,

I shall elaborate the issues we faced with migration of a server 2008 32 Bit to Server 2012 R2 with one domain controller. We executed the below steps,

1. Post Installation of Server 2012 R2 on the new server, we prepared the forest and the domain for schema version update to server 2012 R2. This was done after joining the Server 2012 R2 to Server 2008 32 Bit Domain using the adprep

2.Configured Server 2012 R2 as a additional domain controller. Configuration made a replica of the AD and DNS without any issues.

3.Now i wanted to remove the server 2008 from the data center and do a complete format of the server before upgrading to Server 2012 R2. Also i wanted to do some hardware check as the server is pretty old.

4. So to execute point number 3 , i did FSMO seize for all the required PDC , naming master, RID master, schema master and infrastructure master by connecting the newly installed server 2012 R2

Now when i switched off the Server 2008. Openning  Active directory Users and Computers throws a error, the domain is not contactable.

Switching on the DC with Server 2008 bring all back to normal and we are able to open the AD to see the computers and the accounts on the console.

5.The GC and DNS are all enabled and fine

but still even after FSMO seize to new server 2012R2 server, the fail over domain controller is not taking the role of a PDC. My plan is to sync the AD, DNS from Server 2008 to Server 2012 R2 and then to bring in the old server ( After installation of Server 2012R2) as fail over for the Domain Controller.

Requesting your support and recommendations on this case.

Thanks,

Vasanth,

vaschell

duminică, 13 mai 2018 20:22

Toate mesajele

• Hi,

Thank you for your question.
    I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

luni, 14 mai 2018 09:55
  • The question is most likely better addressed to the experts in the directory services forum found at https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winserverDS

My first thought is, since you have both domain controllers available, why seize the FSMO roles instead of just moving them?  I don't know if that would make any difference, but seizing is generally reserved for those instances when the DC holding the FSMO role is no longer available from which to move it.

tim

luni, 14 mai 2018 12:58
  • I agree with Tim, there was no need to seize the roles. It would have been transfer of FSMO roles to new 2012 R2 additional domain controller.

To move ahead, could you please verify by running the command (c:/>netdom query fsmo) to find out which server has got the roles. Verify if roles have been seized successfully.

Also, if you could provide few event IDs being generated in the Directory Services?

Thanks,

Ravi

luni, 14 mai 2018 15:50