none
Cannot uninstall Failover Clustering Feature

Întrebare

• Hi guys,

I was having some issues with configuring failover clustering, and thought I would try reinstalling the Clustering Feature.

However, I received this error when trying to uninstall:

The request to add or remove features on the specified server failed.
    Removal of one of more roles, role services, or features failed.
    The system cannot find the path specified. Error: 0x80070003

Looking at this, I would assume that it cannot find the source media used for installing windows.

This could very well be the case, as it was installed via a USB drive, that has been removed/reused.

I would have thought that it would save the required files on the machine to allow for removal of services later?

Is there some way I can remove this feature without the USB connected?

This is on Windows Server 2016 Datacentre

1 mai 2018 02:53

Răspunsuri

• After a call to Microsoft Support (so long 400 bucks...), we were unable to resolve this issue.

We made a little progress after performing an "In place Upgrade", which is effectively reinstalling the Operating system and keeping the installed apps and settings.

This allowed us to remove the clustering feature, but created operating system instability, and very weird issues with the Server Manager not displaying all the details correctly (Many "Unknown"s even after saving the settings repeated and refreshing the screen)

Unfortunately, the solution in the end was to do a full operating system re-installation (i.e. format and install from scratch)

Obviously not really a suitable solution if the server is under a heavy production load.

Fortunately, in our case, the server was brand new, and had nothing much installed on it yet.

Still a pain to reconfigure everything, and reconnect the storage correctly, but it did "fix" the issue...

• Marcat ca răspuns de FuriousT 14 mai 2018 03:50
    14 mai 2018 03:50

Toate mesajele

• Would this be better in a different forum?
    2 mai 2018 01:36
  • Hi,

Please try to uninstall clustering via powershell.

Remove-WindowsFeature Failover-Clustering

More info:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2017/04/04/uninstalling-and-reinstalling-the-windows-2012r2-failover-clustering-feature/

There is a related issue caused by language pack,please refer to it.

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1974434-server-2016-unable-to-add-roles-or-features-after-making-server-a-domain-control

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

2 mai 2018 07:13
  • I would also check to make sure the system actually thinks it is installed. Issue the following PowerShell command.

Get-WindowsFeature Failover-Clustering

Does it show as installed?

tim

2 mai 2018 12:09
  • Thanks for the responses,

I stumbled across that article earlier, but still had no luck removing it.

I as going to post the result here, and forgot about it.

PS C:> Import-Module FailoverClusters
    PS C:> Import-Module ServerManager
    PS C:> Remove-WindowsFeature Failover-Clustering -Restart
    Remove-WindowsFeature : The request to add or remove features on the specified server failed.
    Removal of one or more roles, role services, or features failed.
    The system cannot find the path specified. Error: 0x80070003
    At line:1 char:1
    + Remove-WindowsFeature Failover-Clustering -Restart
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (@{Vhd=; Credent...Name=localhost}:PSObject) [Uninstall-WindowsFeature
       ], Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DISMAPI_Error__Failed_Disabling_Updates,Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Commands.RemoveW
       indowsFeatureCommand

Success Restart Needed Exit Code      Feature Result
    ------- -------------- ---------      --------------
    False   No             Failed         {}

Running the Get command shows this:

PS C:> Get-WindowsFeature Failover-Clustering

Display Name                                            Name                       Install State
    ------------                                            ----                       -------------
    [X] Failover Clustering                                 Failover-Clustering            Installed

2 mai 2018 22:30
  • After a call to Microsoft Support (so long 400 bucks...), we were unable to resolve this issue.

We made a little progress after performing an "In place Upgrade", which is effectively reinstalling the Operating system and keeping the installed apps and settings.

This allowed us to remove the clustering feature, but created operating system instability, and very weird issues with the Server Manager not displaying all the details correctly (Many "Unknown"s even after saving the settings repeated and refreshing the screen)

Unfortunately, the solution in the end was to do a full operating system re-installation (i.e. format and install from scratch)

Obviously not really a suitable solution if the server is under a heavy production load.

Fortunately, in our case, the server was brand new, and had nothing much installed on it yet.

Still a pain to reconfigure everything, and reconnect the storage correctly, but it did "fix" the issue...

• Marcat ca răspuns de FuriousT 14 mai 2018 03:50
    14 mai 2018 03:50