Windows Script Component Registration Generate 0x80004005 Error Code RRS feed

• Question

• Scenario :

I create a simple .hta for managing students information and personal data. I create an application registration system which is required by the user to register the .hta before using it (Freeware which required registration for software benchmarking purpose). The registration is created with .wsc file structure. All students registration can work properly and saved into the database without generating any error. However the .wsc file for application registration is unable to register it which generate error.

Problems :

.wsc file generated error 0x80004005 on registration.

Flow :

If I try to register from the context menu, the following error is generated.

"The module "C:\Windows\system32\scrobj.dll" was loaded but the call to  DllInstall failed with error code 0x80004005."

If I try to register from the command line, the following error is generated.

"The module "C:\Windows\system32\scrobj.dll" was loaded but the call to  DllRegisterServerEx failed with error code 0x80004005."

Trial Made :

I searched the solution over the internet and nothing was found except all the solution related to 0x80004005 is pointed to Jet.OleDb problems.

Request :

I hope someone can help me solving this problem. So any help or opinion will be appreciated.

Remarks :

1. Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit on 32 bit system architecture.
    2. Internet Information Services 7.5 is not installed.
    3. Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0 Redistributable installed.
    4. Microsoft Office Access 2007 with Microsoft Jet OleDb 4.0 installed.

Thanks.

Friday, February 18, 2011 6:57 PM

Answers

• If I had to guess, I would say that you need to register your component from an elevated command prompt.

regsvr32 /i:"scriptcomponentfile.wsc" %SystemRoot%\system32\scrobj.dll

(Of course, replace scriptcomponentfile.wsc with the path and filename of your .wsc file)

Bill

• Marked as answer by Shaffiq Shokri Friday, February 18, 2011 8:47 PM
    • Edited by Bill_Stewart Thursday, September 18, 2014 7:56 PM Removed bogus space after wsc file name
    Friday, February 18, 2011 8:36 PM

All replies

• If I had to guess, I would say that you need to register your component from an elevated command prompt.

regsvr32 /i:"scriptcomponentfile.wsc" %SystemRoot%\system32\scrobj.dll

(Of course, replace scriptcomponentfile.wsc with the path and filename of your .wsc file)

Bill

• Marked as answer by Shaffiq Shokri Friday, February 18, 2011 8:47 PM
    • Edited by Bill_Stewart Thursday, September 18, 2014 7:56 PM Removed bogus space after wsc file name
    Friday, February 18, 2011 8:36 PM
  • Thanks so much. It work.

; )

Shaffiq Shokri
    Friday, February 18, 2011 8:48 PM
  • can we replace .wsc file with .vbs file within the systemroot. same error we are getting while registering scrobj.dll. kindly suggest
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 5:39 PM
  • can we replace .wsc file with .vbs file within the systemroot. same error we are getting while registering scrobj.dll. kindly suggest

You cannot register a VBS file.  Only WSC files can be registered as components.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, October 24, 2013 6:45 PM
  • I am still having problem registering the c:\Users\Desktop\MyFirst1.wsc file.

What I have done:

I ran the following command from the following path:

c:\Windows\System32>

the following command:

regsvr32 c:\Users\n1126485\Desktop\MyFirst1.wsc " %SystemRoot%\system32\scrobj.dll

I get the same error...The module "c:\windows..." was loaded...code 0x800c0005

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks

FZ

Thursday, September 18, 2014 7:35 PM
  • i get the same error..

what am I doing wrong below:

The module "C:\Windows\system32\scrobj.dll" was loaded but the call to  DllInstall failed with error code 0x80004005."

I ran the command from the following path...

c:\Windows\system32>

regsvr32 c:\Users\n1126485\Desktop\MyFirst1.wsc " %SystemRoot%\system32\scrobj.dll

any suggestion is appreciated!

thanks

FZ

• Edited by fzahidi Thursday, September 18, 2014 7:40 PM
    Thursday, September 18, 2014 7:38 PM
  • regsvr32 c:\Users\n1126485\Desktop\MyFirst1.wsc " %SystemRoot%\system32\scrobj.dll

That command is not correct. Take careful note of the answer marked above. You are missing the /i parameter and the quotes in the correct places.

regsvr32 /i:"c:\Users\n1126485\Desktop\MyFirst1.wsc" %SystemRoot%\system32\scrobj.dll

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Thursday, September 18, 2014 7:56 PM
  • regsvr32 /I  c:\Users\n1126485\Desktop\MyFirst1.wsc

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, September 18, 2014 8:02 PM
  • Using Windows 7 Home Premium

I have read this thread carefully and followed the recommendations, and I still get the MsgBox error:

The module "scrobj.dll" was loaded but the call to DllInstall failed with error code 0x80004005
    For more information about this problem, search online using the error code as a search term.

I even took these additional steps in the command prompt:

>cd C:\Windows\System32
    >regsvr32 /i:C:\Users\dn\dn.wsc scrobj.dll

>cd C:\Windows\SysWOW64

I executed the identical command after changing to each of the directories. Each time I received the same error

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:09 AM
  • Using Windows 7 Home Premium

I have read this thread carefully and followed the recommendations, and I still get the MsgBox error:

The module "scrobj.dll" was loaded but the call to DllInstall failed with error code 0x80004005
    For more information about this problem, search online using the error code as a search term.

I even took these additional steps in the command prompt:

>cd C:\Windows\System32

>cd C:\Windows\SysWOW64

I executed the identical command after changing to each of the directories. Each time I received the same error

Yes - that is what happens when you "necro" half century old threads.

The object I obsolete and unsupported.   The error - 0x80004005 indicates that you are not an admin.  It may  also indicate that you are using an unsupported module.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:14 AM
  • On Windows 7/8 the scrobj is installed by default but may not be available.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:16 AM
  • Thanks David,

Im my case with Windows Server 2012 R2 work fine!

regsvr32 /i:"c:\components\PTCD82.wsc" "c:\windows\SysWOW64\scrobj.dll"

Friday, September 25, 2015 8:05 PM