PowerShell Script to Get BIOS Settings. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I need a Powershell script where it can get the BIOS Power Management settings or Wake-on-LAN (WOL) status despite of the PC company.

Thanks in advance.

Friday, December 14, 2012 11:56 AM

Answers

• You need to use a special utility to do that.....specifically installing the Dell OMCI or the HP Client Management Instrumentation.  From there you can use WMI to access the BIOS settings such as:

To see Dell Boot Order:

Get-Wmiobject -NameSpace root/dellOMCI -Class Dell_BootDeviceSequence

Dell Also has some useful examples of Powershell code to use after installing OMCI at Dell OMCI PowerShell Examples

• Edited by Chris DeCarlo Sunday, December 16, 2012 5:37 AM Formatting
    • Proposed as answer by Chris DeCarlo Sunday, December 16, 2012 5:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bill_Stewart Monday, December 31, 2012 6:54 PM
    Sunday, December 16, 2012 5:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I am searching for Powershell script which can get the BIOS Power Management Settings to check whether the Wake-on-LAN is Enabled Or Disabled despite of the PC Company.

If the comapny of PC is necessary Just think of Lenovo ThinkCentre M82 Series, but again am saying despite of company is there any BIOS commands to get WOL settings.

Thanks in advance. 

Friday, December 14, 2012 11:51 AM
  • You need to use a special utility to do that.....specifically installing the Dell OMCI or the HP Client Management Instrumentation.  From there you can use WMI to access the BIOS settings such as:

To see Dell Boot Order:

Get-Wmiobject -NameSpace root/dellOMCI -Class Dell_BootDeviceSequence

Dell Also has some useful examples of Powershell code to use after installing OMCI at Dell OMCI PowerShell Examples

• Edited by Chris DeCarlo Sunday, December 16, 2012 5:37 AM Formatting
    • Proposed as answer by Chris DeCarlo Sunday, December 16, 2012 5:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bill_Stewart Monday, December 31, 2012 6:54 PM
    Sunday, December 16, 2012 5:36 AM
  • Hi Chris DeCarlo,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Could you please tell me where can I find Lenovo Thinkcentre M82 - AK2 Desktop's OMCI or WMI.

Monday, December 17, 2012 4:18 AM
  • Lenovo BIOS Sample

This might help, supposedly Lenovo has it built into WMI by default while HP and Dell fell off the bus and are trying to shim their BIOS settings into WMI with the OMCI and HP CMI.

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Monday, December 17, 2012 6:50 PM
  • For consumer systems Dell, HP, IBM/Lenovo do not supply and never have supplied WMI/CIM extensions.  All provide extensions for Enterprise machines that can be managed under their mangement systems like OpenManagement and others.

The specific Lenovo referenced is a consumer machine so I do not think you will find CIM extensions.

Mostly consumer machines BIOS do not allow access from the OS.  This has been true since the very beginning.  In some instances vendors may provide a utility that will dump the settings.  Occasionally they may provide a utility that can manage the settings.

It would be better to contact Lenovo directly for a definitive answer.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, December 17, 2012 7:40 PM
  • After contacting Lenovo we find that you cannot use WMI with your BIOS as the AK2 is a consumer machine.

For instructions and examples: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=UM015241

Always ask vendor specific questions at the vendor web site first.  It saves time.

This is one reason I never buy consumer machies for my clients. They are too often too limited.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Edited by jrv Monday, December 17, 2012 7:44 PM
    Monday, December 17, 2012 7:42 PM
  • This topic is a duplicate.  It could be merged as teh answer is in the other identical topic of same date

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/thread/26136b83-095b-4a1b-996a-6cb6ee686865

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, December 17, 2012 7:47 PM

• --
    --
    "T Phani" wrote in message news:60324ae6-65f3-49cb-916b-56341895c90f...

Hi Chris DeCarlo,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Could you please tell me where can I find Lenovo Thinkcentre M82 - AK2 Desktop's OMCI or WMI.

David Candy
    Saturday, January 5, 2013 7:03 AM