none
WMI access permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a service than scans devices on a LAN over WMI. We can either add a domain account to local admins on each device or we can give that account access to WMI, and use those credentials in the service.

However what can we do if we wanted the service to be in a DMZ and on a non-domain joined machine? Let's say we did that and the login to this machine was obviously a local account, can we specify these local credentials on all devices' WMI configuration?

Is that possible? The domain-joined machines obviously wouldn't know about this server or credentials.

My initial thought is that in the service's credentials setting we specify DOMAIN\Username which would then pass them through, like Windows does for non-domain computers accessing file shares. But the service might not like that format for the username field - I'm finding that out.

Thanks

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 3:00 PM

All replies

• This is a scripting forum. Did you have a scripting question? It sounds more like a Windows OS security question.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 3:01 PM
  • I googled "WMI technet forums" and it brought me here!

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 4:29 PM
  • Sorry, but this isn't the right place for your question. Your question isn't about scripting. (You might search for Windows security forums or the like.)

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 5:31 PM