none
How to uninstall PowerShell 1.0

Question

• Hi,  Please point me to instructions for uninstalling PowerShell 1.0 from XP Pro so that I can install version 2.  I have read that service packs can remove the 1.0 uninstaller.  Is the XP Pro uninstaller for PowerShell 1.0 available for download?

The support article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926139/ does not include instructions for removing 1.0 for my XP Pro system.

In Currently installed programs, Windows PowerShell(TM) 1.0 does not appear on my XP Pro system and consequently I am unable to click Remove .

How to uninstall Windows PowerShell in Windows XP

<script type="text/javascript"> loadTOCNode(3, 'moreinformation'); </script> In Windows XP, follow these steps to uninstall Windows PowerShell 1.0:
    1. Click Start , click Run , type appwiz.cpl , and then click OK .
    2. Click to select the Show updates check box.
    3. In the Currently installed programs list, click Windows PowerShell(TM) 1.0 , and then click Remove .
    4. Follow the instructions to remove the following entry:
      Windows PowerShell(TM) 1.0
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 12:29 AM

Answers

• You can install the RTM version of Windows PowerShell 2.0 directly over Windows PowerShell 1.0, there is no need to perform an uninstall. The uninstallation, and reinstallation requirements you may see references to on the Internet are all artifacts left over from the Beta version.

You can obtain the RTM version of Windows PowerShell 2.0 from this location: http://bit.ly/31P7hP 
    Once you perform the installation, you may be curious as to whether the upgrade actually worked. This is especially true because Windows PowerShell will still reside in the C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0 directory. You can confirm that the upgrade was successful by opening the Windows PowerShell prompt and querying the value of the $PSVersionTable variable. You should see something like the following displayed:

PS C:\> $PSVersionTable

Name                           Value
    ----                           -----
    CLRVersion                     2.0.50727.4927
    BuildVersion                   6.1.7600.16385
    PSVersion                      2.0
    WSManStackVersion              2.0
    PSCompatibleVersions           {1.0, 2.0}
    SerializationVersion           1.1.0.1
    PSRemotingProtocolVersion      2.1

Thursday, January 21, 2010 10:02 PM
    Owner

All replies

• You can install the RTM version of Windows PowerShell 2.0 directly over Windows PowerShell 1.0, there is no need to perform an uninstall. The uninstallation, and reinstallation requirements you may see references to on the Internet are all artifacts left over from the Beta version.

You can obtain the RTM version of Windows PowerShell 2.0 from this location: http://bit.ly/31P7hP 
    Once you perform the installation, you may be curious as to whether the upgrade actually worked. This is especially true because Windows PowerShell will still reside in the C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0 directory. You can confirm that the upgrade was successful by opening the Windows PowerShell prompt and querying the value of the $PSVersionTable variable. You should see something like the following displayed:

PS C:\> $PSVersionTable

Name                           Value
    ----                           -----
    CLRVersion                     2.0.50727.4927
    BuildVersion                   6.1.7600.16385
    PSVersion                      2.0
    WSManStackVersion              2.0
    PSCompatibleVersions           {1.0, 2.0}
    SerializationVersion           1.1.0.1
    PSRemotingProtocolVersion      2.1

Thursday, January 21, 2010 10:02 PM
    Owner
  • Hi, it is easy to uninstall PowerShell the way you specified. But how to do your uninstall PowerShell v 1.0 if you dont find a line entry in the appwiz, or Adding and Removing Programs? That is the question.

I have an XP Pro SP3 station I tried to upgrade to Vista Business. The compatiblity checker recommended that I uninstall the existing PowerShell, which is version1.0. I could not find a line entry for it and could not relate it a KB version in the Updates section.

Someone suggested it is KB926139, whci i could not find in the Windows\@NtUinstallKB926139.

Still looking for answers

Cheers, G.

If you don't try, you won't resolve whatever
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 3:27 PM
  • Working in registry, don't make any changes. (if you ever do make sure you make a backup first)

Hit Windows Key + R
    Type "Regedit" and hit enter.
    Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
    Now hit F3 and search for PowerShell.

If you are able to find it under the "Uninstall" folder then copy the path from "UninstallString".
    It should look something like this "C:\WINDOWS\$968930Uinstall_KB968930$\spuninst\spuninst.exe"

Now just run that exe...

Friday, September 23, 2011 2:48 PM
  • that doesnt work.when i hit o k, show updates doesnt come up
    marcus rushworth
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 2:52 AM
  • I have followed the steps above and do not have Windows PowerShell of any sort listed in the Currently installed programs list.

I'm try to upgrade my Windows XP Professional to Windows Vista Professional.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

TJO SDCA
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 6:23 PM
  • Start by running POwerSHell.

Run the following command.

get-hotfix -id KB926139

If it fails to run you do not have PowerShell V2 installed use V1 uninstall instructions.

If it finds the hot fix the go to Add or Remove Programs and uninstall update KB926139.

jv
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:45 PM
  • Thanks for trying to help me - I have V1 and I don't have Windows PowerShell listed in the Currently installed programs list and I've searched for KB926139 and don't have that update listed anywhere in the Currently installed programs menu. Until I figure how to locate and uninstall PowerShell, I can't upgrade to Vista Pro. Any other ideas? Thank you! Tim
    TJO SDCA
    Sunday, January 01, 2012 3:58 AM
  • Thanks for trying to help me - I have V1 and I don't have Windows PowerShell listed in the Currently installed programs list and I've searched for KB926139 and don't have that update listed anywhere in the Currently installed programs menu. Until I figure how to locate and uninstall PowerShell, I can't upgrade to Vista Pro. Any other ideas? Thank you! Tim
    TJO SDCA

What makes you think you have PowerShell V1?  PowerShell 1.0 is NOT V1 by itself.

Wht will you not follow the instructions.

1. Start by running PowerShell.

1. Run the following command - get-hotfix -id KB926139

What message do you get?

jv
    • Edited by jrv Sunday, January 01, 2012 5:14 AM
    Sunday, January 01, 2012 5:06 AM
  • I have followed the steps above and do not have Windows PowerShell of any sort listed in the Currently installed programs list.

I'm try to upgrade my Windows XP Professional to Windows Vista Professional.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

TJO SDCA

This is such an old thread, which has already been answered.   Why don't you start a new topic?
    ([string](0..9|%{[char][int](32+("39826578846355658268").substring(($_*2),2))})).replace(' ','')

What's new in Powershell 3.0 (Technet Wiki)

Sunday, January 01, 2012 5:55 AM
  • Hi jrv,

To be honest I'm not really sure what PowerShell is but when I try to upgrade to Vista Professional I'm being told that I can't initiate the upgrade until I uninstall PowerShell - then when I go to uninstall I can't see it anywhere... I think I'm at a dead end but thanks for your help and patience. Have a great New Year!

TJO SDCA

TJO SDCA
    Sunday, January 01, 2012 3:58 PM
  • What is the point of this reply? Would I ask for clarification or help if the above thread answered my question? Your reply was completely unnecessary. How about focus your energy to positive things instead of negative. Thank goodness others on this site have patience and truly want to be helpful.

TJO SDCA
    Sunday, January 01, 2012 4:00 PM
  • The purpose was to help you to get more answers to your question.  A question that is old and already answered is unlikely get many replies.

I was only trying to offer helpful advice.  I have no idea how you could consider this abusive.

([string](0..9|%{[char][int](32+("39826578846355658268").substring(($_*2),2))})).replace(' ','')

Sunday, January 01, 2012 4:03 PM
  • What is the point of this reply? Would I ask for clarification or help if the above thread answered my question? Your reply was completely unnecessary. How about focus your energy to positive things instead of negative. Thank goodness others on this site have patience and truly want to be helpful.

TJO SDCA

Sorry - I should never have tried for a quick answer to a question that is clearly from soemone who is new to forums.As BigTeddy pointed out, this thread is very old and has been closed.  It would be more productive if you were to start your own thread.  To further complicate matters it is clear you are not a technician or, at least, a tech who is familiar with WIndows Sripting and installation of optional Windows components.

Your issue is about knowing how to fin and recognize WIndows installed components.

Start by following my instructions. and post the results with your question to a new topic.

1. Start by running PowerShell.
    2. Run the following command.
    3. get-hotfix -id KB926139
    4. Copy and post the exact mesage to the new topic.

To run PowerShell go to a command prompt and type powershell.

jv
    Sunday, January 01, 2012 4:55 PM
  • I have XP SP3  and want to completely remove powershell.  When I enter command "get-hotfix -id KB926139"  I get the following:

Get-HotFix : This command cannot find hot-fix on the machine 'localhost'. Verify the input and Run your
    At line:1 char:11
    + get-hotfix <<<<  -id KB926139
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (:) [Get-HotFix], ArgumentException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetHotFixNoEntriesFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetHotFixCommand

Any suggestions how to remove Powershell?  Thanks!

Saturday, January 28, 2012 6:41 PM
  • I suggest you start a new topic with this question, as this thread has been closed for some time, and not many people will see it.

Grant Ward, a.k.a. Bigteddy

Network Live Audit - Powershell script
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 7:18 PM
  • I'd be glad to start a new topic, but how do I do it and where should I post my question???
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 8:13 PM
  • I'd be glad to start a new topic, but how do I do it and where should I post my question???

Start by reading the forum instructions.  They are posted on the main page.  I think that the link  called "Need help with forums?" is the link that might be helpful.

The forum is not here to help you repair a PC or learn how to use Windows or Internet forums.  This forum exists to help those who are using scripting or are learning and have basic questions about the what, why and how of scripting in Windows.

You question here has an easy answer which I will give.  You do not have PowerShell v1(RTM) installed.

If you are having other issues with a script then please start a new topic.  If you are just having trouble with installing PowerShell then you should post in the Windows XP forum for help with application installation.  More issues of that type are likely to be listed there.

Be sure to put your error message into Google or Bing to get the latest information.

Good luck.

jv
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 10:52 PM
  • It's true.  Powershell IS there and it can't come off.  Just admit you people don't know how to get it off.   And some one said something about being a real technician?  A service pack will change the inner workings of windows and what worked when you got it won't work now.  

Microsoft only cares about forcing you into the next OS.   I'm going Linux.....

Sunday, April 29, 2012 2:11 AM
  • It's true.  Powershell IS there and it can't come off.  Just admit you people don't know how to get it off.   And some one said something about being a real technician?  A service pack will change the inner workings of windows and what worked when you got it won't work now.  

Microsoft only cares about forcing you into the next OS.   I'm going Linux.....

No - it is a virus.  Now you are infected.  You will slowly turn into a Zombie.  You figured it out. Microsoft is after you.  You cannot get away.  We will find you and convert you to our nefarious purposes. Of course, if you know how to spell nefarious, then the deal is off.

Haaaaa! haa! haaaa! haaaaa! haa!

We win!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sunday, April 29, 2012 2:17 AM
  • Powershell can be a part of Windows Management Framework Core. Remove this and you may be in luck.
    Friday, March 21, 2014 8:59 PM
  • "Windows Management Framework Core" in Windows XP SP3.
    Monday, April 07, 2014 2:33 AM
  • I am sending this message from April 12, 2051.  We understand how difficult the old and obsolete software really is.  In 2045 the International PowerShell Consortium agreed to retain PowerShell V1 as a legacy standard.  As a result no copy of PowerShell V1 can be uninstalled.  If you try we will send the TimeCops to bring you in.

PowerShell V1 is Required - in omne tempus

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, April 07, 2014 2:52 AM