Error when working with apostrophe in name when creating groups RRS feed

• Question

• I am creating bulk group and one of the fields I need to populate is the "Managed By" field. when I am creating the groups one of the names I have to use for managed by is John O'Brien. 

This is what I get: Error parsing query: 'name -like 'John O'Brien'' Error Message: 'syntax error'. For some reason if I use samAccountname the field doesn't get populated

Is there a way to work around for this problem?

Wednesday, October 28, 2020 6:02 PM

All replies

• I am creating bulk group and one of the fields I need to populate is the "Managed By" field. when I am creating the groups one of the names I have to use for managed by is John O'Brien. 

This is what I get: Error parsing query: 'name -like 'John O'Brien'' Error Message: 'syntax error'. For some reason if I use samAccountname the field doesn't get populated

Is there a way to work around for this problem?

i did not see your code

The opinion expressed by me is not an official position of Microsoft

Wednesday, October 28, 2020 6:04 PM
  • How about this?

$x | where {$_.name -like "*John O'Brian*"}

FYI, you need at least one wildcard for the -like operator to work correctly (or at all, in fact).

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange Ex-MVP (16 years)

Wednesday, October 28, 2020 6:28 PM
  • $FilePath = "DC:\Scripts\Bulk-Group.csv" $csv = import-csv $FilePath $csv | Foreach-Object { $_.PSObject.Properties | Foreach-Object { $_.Value = $_.Value.Trim()} } $csv | Export-Csv $FilePath -NoTypeInformation #Create new groups $path = "OU=PermissionGroups,OU=Groups,DC=Domain,DC=com" $GroupScope = "Global" $GroupCategory = "Security" Import-csv $FilePath | foreach{ New-ADGroup -Path $Path -GroupScope $GroupScope -GroupCategory $GroupCategory -ManagedBy (Get-aduser -Filter "name -like '$($_.GroupManagedby)'" -properties *).SamAccountName -SamAccountName $_.GroupName -Name $_.GroupName -Description $_.GroupDescription -OtherAttributes @{'info'=$_.Groupinfo1} -PassThru -Verbose } $csv |%{Get-ADGroup $_.GroupName -Properties * | select Name,Managedby,Description,WhencReated,info} | fl

Here is the csv file structure:

GroupName,GroupManagedby,GroupDescription,GroupInfo1
    SG-VPN-AL-PROD,John O'Brien,This group will provide access to the project application over VPN.,TCK7690654
    Thursday, October 29, 2020 3:34 PM
  • one way described by Rich

another

-Filter "name -like ""$($_.GroupManagedby)"""

Thursday, October 29, 2020 4:58 PM

another

In a filter do not use double-double quotes.

-Filter "name -like '$($_.GroupManagedby)'"

Single quotes are only seen as basic characters when used inside of double-quotes.  Using compound quotes to escape a quote in a filter can have odd side effects.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, October 29, 2020 8:40 PM

another

In a filter do not use double-double quotes.

-Filter "name -like '$($_.GroupManagedby)'"

Single quotes are only seen as basic characters when used inside of double-quotes.  Using compound quotes to escape a quote in a filter can have odd side effects.

\_(ツ)_/

jrv, your solution come from the question and author said that single quotes does not work when GroupManagedBy person have single quote in a name, like O'Brien

looks like the best way proposed by Rich, my solution should work for this case but i'magree that this is odd

• Edited by Vector BCO Thursday, October 29, 2020 9:10 PM
    Thursday, October 29, 2020 9:08 PM
  • The single quote always works when the name is in a variable.  If the OP is trying to say different then they are not telling us something about what they are doing and why.

See the following:

PS C:\scripts> $GroupManagedby = "M'Debon"
    PS C:\scripts> "name -like '$($GroupManagedby)'"
    name -like 'M'Debon'
    PS C:\scripts>

Objects in AD other than user names should NOT use special characters.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, October 30, 2020 3:03 AM
  • The single quote always works when the name is in a variable.  If the OP is trying to say different then they are not telling us something about what they are doing and why.

See the following:

PS C:\scripts> $GroupManagedby = "M'Debon"
    PS C:\scripts> "name -like '$($GroupManagedby)'"
    name -like 'M'Debon'
    PS C:\scripts>

Objects in AD other than user names should NOT use special characters.

\_(ツ)_/

jrv, did u try this filter with ad cmdlets, like get-aduser?

Friday, October 30, 2020 7:46 AM