none
Extract UNC path from network drive path RRS feed

• Question

• Given a network mapped drive, and a folder "on" that drive, is there any way to extract the UNC path to the folder? So, if P:\ = \\Server\Projects and I provide P:\2015\House I should get back \\Server\Projects\2015\House. 

I have been playing with Get-Item, but none of the properties are the UNC path, and my Google Fu is failing me.

Thanks!

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 11:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Not sure you are seeking for string replacement like below:

'P:\2015\House'.Replace('P:', '\\Server\Projects')

If you are looking for the mapped drives and using Get-Item or Get-ChildItem, Pls try the below example:

#To collect mapped drives and it's path.
    $MappedDrives = @{}
    Get-WmiObject win32_logicaldisk -Filter 'drivetype=4' | Foreach { $MappedDrives.($_.deviceID) = $_.ProviderName }

#The below samples add additional property called 'UncPath' to the output of Get-item and Get-ChildItem
    Get-ChildItem P: | Select *, @{n='UncPath'; e= { $_.FullName.Replace( $_.Root, $MappedDrives.($_.Root.ToString().SubString(0,2)) +'\') }}
    Get-Item P:\2015\House | Select *, @{n='UncPath'; e= { $_.FullName.Replace( $_.Root, $MappedDrives.($_.Root.ToString().SubString(0,2)) +'\') }}

rgds,

AZ

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 3:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Give this a try:

PS C:\> $path = 'Z:\2015\House'

$drive = (Split-Path $path -Qualifier).Replace(':','')
    $leaf = Split-Path $path -NoQualifier

$unc = Join-Path (Get-PSDrive $drive).DisplayRoot -ChildPath $leaf

$unc

Example output:
    \\serverName\music\2015\House

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 13,085+ strong and growing)

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 11:42 PM
  • That's failing for me on the Join-Path, but I also just heard from my customer that they have very weird network security, and I am not going to be able to access the network anyway. So I need to look at some other solution. None of them really graceful. Ah well. 

Thanks!

Gordon

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 12:20 AM
  • Hi,

Not sure you are seeking for string replacement like below:

'P:\2015\House'.Replace('P:', '\\Server\Projects')

If you are looking for the mapped drives and using Get-Item or Get-ChildItem, Pls try the below example:

#To collect mapped drives and it's path.
    $MappedDrives = @{}
    Get-WmiObject win32_logicaldisk -Filter 'drivetype=4' | Foreach { $MappedDrives.($_.deviceID) = $_.ProviderName }

#The below samples add additional property called 'UncPath' to the output of Get-item and Get-ChildItem
    Get-ChildItem P: | Select *, @{n='UncPath'; e= { $_.FullName.Replace( $_.Root, $MappedDrives.($_.Root.ToString().SubString(0,2)) +'\') }}
    Get-Item P:\2015\House | Select *, @{n='UncPath'; e= { $_.FullName.Replace( $_.Root, $MappedDrives.($_.Root.ToString().SubString(0,2)) +'\') }}

rgds,

AZ

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 3:10 AM
  • have you tried this:

Get-WmiObject Win32_NetworkConnection  | ft "RemoteName","LocalName" -A

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
    IT Stuff Quick Bytes

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 8:35 AM
  • AZ, that Get-Item approach did the trick! Thanks!
    Gordon
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 10:43 AM