none
Need to find current storage location for datasource... RRS feed

• Question

• Attempting to migrate from one very full Modern Backup Storage (MBS) drive to another very empty one.  Following these steps from https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/System-Center-Blog/SC-2016-DPM-UR4-Migrate-Backup-Storage-in-3-simple-steps/ba-p/351842 :

Create a modifiable Protection Group the of the PG the datasource is in. 
    $pg = Get-DPMProtectionGroup 
    $mpg = Get-DPMModifiableProtectionGroup $pg[0] 
    Get the datasource you wish to migrate, and the volume you wish to migrate it to. 
    $ds = Get-DPMDatasource $mpg 
    $vols = Get-DPMDiskStorage -Volumes 
    Modify the disk allocation for the datasource, and save the PG. 
    Set-DPMDatasourceDiskAllocation -ProtectionGroup $mpg -Datasource $ds[0] -TargetStorage $vols[0] -MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM 
    Set-ProtectionGroup $mpg 
    These steps enable you to have more control over your storage while giving you the freedom to balance storage utilization across volumes. 

Problem is, if the datasource ALREADY resides on $vols[0], this is a totally wasted command.  I cannot, for the life of me, find any way via powershell to find the CURRENT location of the datasource.  The rather obvious choice of "Get-DatasourceDiskAllocation" only returns the following:

PS C:\Users\sinclair_admin> Get-DatasourceDiskAllocation $ds[0] | fl

Computer                 : EPICOR
    Name                     : BizInsightDB
    LogicalPath              : EPICOR\BizInsightDB
    ObjectType               : SQL Server 2012 database
    LatestRecoveryPointLabel : -
    OldestRecoveryPointLabel : -
    TotalRecoveryPointsLabel : 0
    DiskAllocation           : {Storage consumed:, 110.82 MB}

Is there any way of expanding the "DiskAllocation" further?  Would that contain where the vhdx's are actually stored?  

Any ideas?

Oh, and BTW, this is immediately available in the GUI by right-clicking the datasource and choosing "Move Backup Storage", so I know it has to be discoverable somewhere.  Right-clicking on 250 different datasources isn't really a great way to go...
    Friday, May 31, 2019 12:50 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Unfortunately I don't think you can get the location for a backup/datasource, the DPM PowerShell is quite limited when it comes to this, or well DPM in general is quite limited with information.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Tuesday, June 4, 2019 9:49 PM
    Friday, May 31, 2019 2:42 PM