none
Robocopy script and Windows 8.1 Pro Local Skydrive folders FAIL RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been successfully using Robocopy for years and after installing Windows 8.1 Pro, my script fails while attempting to copy the Skydrive folders and files on my local HDD. All other files copy correctly.

The error is:
    ERROR 1920 (0x00000780) Copying File D:\MyData\SkyDrive\...[filenames]...

I have searched for and seen other threads regarding Skydrive and Robocopy. I am still not clear why HDD local folders and files would fail to be copied.

Due to the SkyDrive fail, I have tried modifying the Robocopy script and the modification does not function as expected. My script is:
    robocopy"D:\MyData" "E:\MyData" /E /XD "D:\MyData\SkyDrive\" /MT:64 /ZB /FP /NP /R:5 /W:1 /V /TEE /log:"d:\mydata\Backuplog Daily D to E.xls"

Trying to exclude the SkyDrive folders does not function and Robocopy continues to attempt to copy Skydrive folders/subfolders/files.

I have tried several variations of the /XD switch which also fail.

1) Any idea why local HDD Skydrive folders/files fail to copy?
    2) Any idea why the /XD switch fails?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Michael Downs

mdd

Monday, October 21, 2013 4:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Just FYI, robocopy usage and errors is not really a scripting question but rather a general OS platform question (robocopy is a standard command-line tool). If we can't reproduce the error (I can't, at least) then there's not much else to be said about it here, unfortunately, because this is a scripting forum.

Bill

Monday, October 21, 2013 6:35 PM
  • I've just encountered the same issue. As jrv pointed out, the Skydrive folder is not a normal folder. Files that are in the cloud, but not local will cause this problem if you try to copy them with robocopy. After a bit of poking and prodding, it looks like they are stored as some funky kind of junction point, hidden with +h +s attributes. I was able to copy the folders using the -XJ (eXclude Junctions) option on robocopy.

hth,

James

• Marked as answer by michaeldowns Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:16 PM
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 10:11 AM

All replies

• C:\>net helpmsg 1920
    The file cannot be accessed by the system.

That is a "generic" Win32 system error that could be caused by a number of different things.

I don't know what is causing the error in your specific case, though. I would suggest researching this error code using a search engine and see if you can find any relevant information.

Bill

Monday, October 21, 2013 4:49 PM
  • SkyDrive is not a UNC drive.  It is a WebDAV drive or web folder managed by the 'Sync" utility..  Last I looked RoboCopy does not support that kind of target.  I suspect it wil have issues running multiple threads and it will have issues verifying files.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, October 21, 2013 6:16 PM
  • Thanks, I have already done many searches for the errors, however which error are you referring to? The fail to copy or the /XD switch fail error?

Since I did not find anything relevant to my issue, I started this thread.

I have done the usual trial and error method of resolving this myself, no joy.

Any real suggestions?

mdd

Monday, October 21, 2013 6:18 PM
  • Hi,

Just FYI, robocopy usage and errors is not really a scripting question but rather a general OS platform question (robocopy is a standard command-line tool). If we can't reproduce the error (I can't, at least) then there's not much else to be said about it here, unfortunately, because this is a scripting forum.

Bill

Monday, October 21, 2013 6:35 PM
  • Hi,

Bill

Hi,

I posted the question to this forum since I saw other Robocopy threads here.

BTW, do you mean you can't repro the error that /XD does not actually exclude the SkyDrive folder on Win 8.1?

Thanks

mdd

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:04 PM
  • Hi,

Your question isn't a scripting question but rather a general OS question. I use robocopy with local SkyDrive folders without problems, so I can't comment on why it doesn't work for you. If it's business critical that this be working for you, I suggest contacting Microsoft support. These forums do not have a guarantee that there will be an answer to every possible problem (particularly when the problem is not directly related to the forum topic).

Bill

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:09 PM
  • This - D:\MyData\SkyDrive - is not a good location for the Skydrive folder.

SkyDrive is here: C:\Users\<userid>\SkyDrive

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:19 PM
  • This - D:\MyData\SkyDrive - is not a good location for the Skydrive folder.

SkyDrive is here: C:\Users\<userid>\SkyDrive

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I moved the SkyDrive location. With a limited (256GB) SSD, I have moved all User local storage folders to D:\MyData\[folder]

mdd

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 5:39 PM
  • Hi,

Your question isn't a scripting question but rather a general OS question. I use robocopy with local SkyDrive folders without problems, so I can't comment on why it doesn't work for you. If it's business critical that this be working for you, I suggest contacting Microsoft support. These forums do not have a guarantee that there will be an answer to every possible problem (particularly when the problem is not directly related to the forum topic).

Bill

Right, I don't have high expectations for answers in these forums that's for sure. Just trying to avoid trial and error testing. And again, I posted here after searching for similar issues and saw Robocopy threads in this forum.

mdd

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 5:42 PM
  • Michael  I posted earlier that RoboCopy is not really compatible with Skydrive.  The Skydrive folder is a special folder.  It may not appear to the RoboCopy as it does in the exclude argument.

As Bill has pointed out, this forum is not specific to RoboCopy or system utilities.  The OS forum for the OS you are using would be a better place to explore answers.  If this is something you really need then call MS support.  If it is a bug the call is free.

I can also suggest removing Skydrive and reinstalling it.  I have seen it get hosed at times. 

If you are using Office365/SkyDrive then post in the O365 forums.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 6:37 PM
  • I've just encountered the same issue. As jrv pointed out, the Skydrive folder is not a normal folder. Files that are in the cloud, but not local will cause this problem if you try to copy them with robocopy. After a bit of poking and prodding, it looks like they are stored as some funky kind of junction point, hidden with +h +s attributes. I was able to copy the folders using the -XJ (eXclude Junctions) option on robocopy.

hth,

James

• Marked as answer by michaeldowns Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:16 PM
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 10:11 AM

hth,

James

Please don't post on old threads and closed questions.

RoboCopy is not a script or scripting issue.  Please post in a more appropriate forum.

Please read the answer to this thread very carefully.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, January 23, 2014 10:19 AM