none
Using ACE drivers and ADO.Net to access ACCESS 2007 and EXCEL 2007 files RRS feed

• Question

• I have read and studied the post by one of the Scripting Guys at:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/heyscriptingguy/2011/05/04/use-ace-drivers-and-powershell-to-talk-to-access-and-excel/#comment-1404225

I followed the instructions to import/install ACE:

1. download the ACE.psm1 file from another website and keep in ...\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\ACE

2. Execute the command:  Import-Module ace

When I performed all of the above, nothing happened. I simply got the PS prompt back.  No error messages,

I am interested in using ACE drivers and ADO.net directly with PS to access ACCESS 2007 databases and EXCEL 2007 files

I keep getting stucked at the Open() method when the connection string is passed:

<xxx> .Open("Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OleDB.12.0, Dat Source=C:\Documents\myfile.mdb")

It keeps telling me the Provider is not properly installed or not installed.

Would be grateful for any helpful tips, advice and/or pointers.

Many thanks.

R.Tan

rst1951@outlook.com

R.Tan

Thursday, June 28, 2018 6:52 AM

Answers

All replies

• You have to install the ACE drivers to make the ACE module work.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13255

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by RomanTan Thursday, June 28, 2018 7:32 AM
    Thursday, June 28, 2018 6:58 AM
  • Thank you very much -- I'm sorry I forgot this step.

I now have a follow-up question to this:  the download site for Microsoft Access Driver Engine 2010 Redistibutable gave me a choice of 32-bit or 64-bit.  I downloaded both.

My dilemma is as follows:   I have a 64-bit Windows 7 (Home Premium Ed.) OS, but my Office 2007 suite (Word, Excel, PPoint, Access, Outlook) is 32-bit.

When I attempted to install the 64-bit version, the installer rejected it and explicitly stated that my Office products are 32-bit.  So I installed the 32-bit version, which went OK, but when I ran the command:

Import-Module ace

nothing happened.  Is there a solution to this?

Sincerest thanks for your assistance.

R.Tan

R.Tan

• Edited by RomanTan Thursday, June 28, 2018 7:32 AM forgot alert
    Thursday, June 28, 2018 7:31 AM
  • You have to install the 64 bit version or run the 32 bit version of PowerShell.

Office 2007 has been out-of-support for years.  You should not be using it.  You can get Office 2016 for $99 from the MSN Office site.

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Thursday, June 28, 2018 7:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by RomanTan Thursday, June 28, 2018 7:41 AM
    Thursday, June 28, 2018 7:38 AM
  • OK, thanks.

Much appreciated.

Sincerely,

R.Tan

R.Tan

Thursday, June 28, 2018 7:41 AM