none
Can this script trigger a reboot on Windows 7? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a very simple script to install a plugin for Outlook. Would someone be so kind and tell me if it is possible that this script triggers a reboot?

$installer = "$PSScriptRoot\Outlook Add-In Setup 13.0.19204.1650.exe"
    $args = @(
        "/s"
    )

start-process $installer $args -wait

$wshell = New-Object -ComObject Wscript.Shell
    $return = $wshell.Popup("Das NoSpamProxy Outlook-Plugin wurde auf die neueste Version aktualisiert. Starten Sie bitte Outlook neu, damit die Aenderungen wirksam werden..",0,"OK")

For some reason, after deploying it to around 500 Windows 7 workstations using SCCM , we have received complaints that the workstations got rebooted about 3 seconds after the popup appeared, without giving the User any warnings or anything. But it did not happen on all workstations, it was less than 10. I'm trying to identify if the method to call the popup could, in any way, send a message to the OS to reboot.

Kind regards,

Wojciech

Monday, October 7, 2019 2:32 PM

Answers

• There's nothing in your script that would, by itself, trigger a reboot.

My guess is that the installer package that you are using detects that a reboot is needed, and because you are running it silently, it reboots the machine without asking the user.

This is a question for whoever developed your installer package.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

• Proposed as answer by BOfH-666 Monday, October 7, 2019 11:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by rozanw Tuesday, October 8, 2019 6:24 AM
    Monday, October 7, 2019 3:15 PM

All replies

• There's nothing in your script that would, by itself, trigger a reboot.

My guess is that the installer package that you are using detects that a reboot is needed, and because you are running it silently, it reboots the machine without asking the user.

This is a question for whoever developed your installer package.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

• Proposed as answer by BOfH-666 Monday, October 7, 2019 11:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by rozanw Tuesday, October 8, 2019 6:24 AM
    Monday, October 7, 2019 3:15 PM
  • For better control over the installation process you should use the msi package of the plugin and install the other prerequisites separately.

Please read the documentation on the vendor site: Outlook Add-In Installation und Gruppenrichtlinien.

Live long and prosper!

(79,108,97,102|%{[char]$_})-join''

Monday, October 7, 2019 11:25 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, that's the only thing that comes to my mind. Though we've been installing older versions of the plugin this way in the past and never had the problem. 

I'll try with the msi package and a /norestart parameter. Perhaps we'll get better results. 

Kind regards,

Wojciech.

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 6:25 AM