none
Finding users with CannotChangePassword = True RRS feed

• Question

• When using Get-ADUser I can make the Filter work with CannotChangePassword. I get an error.

Get-ADUser : Searching on extended attribute 'CannotChangePassword' is not supported.

I can get a where command to work.

...| where {$_.CannotChangePassword -eq $True}

But I would prefer to use the filter. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Paul

Thursday, April 6, 2017 1:58 PM

All replies

• This should work:

Get-ADUser -Filter {CannotChangePassword -eq $True}
    Edit: If you pipe to a Where clause, you must specify the CannotChangePassword property with the -Properties parameter, but it is more efficient to filter.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Thursday, April 6, 2017 2:15 PM
  • Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I get the error 

Get-ADUser : Searching on extended attribute 'CannotChangePassword' is not supported.

I'm 2008 R2 AD. Is that part of the issue?

Paul

Thursday, April 6, 2017 2:18 PM
  • Perhaps I should have researched more, earlier, but I am discovering that CannotChangePassword isn't an attribute. It is a right set with a DACL that allows (or disallows) the user to ChangePassword. So, it would appear I can't query for it because it is not an attribute on the account.

I'll stick with the Where command for now. Thanks.

Paul

Thursday, April 6, 2017 2:34 PM
  • My mistake. It seems that the CannotChangePassword property is supported by the Set-ADUser cmdlet, but not the Get-ADUser cmdlet. So the property can be updated, but not read.

Edit: This filter might help, but the setting is not quite the same:

Get-ADUser -LDAPFilter "(userAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=64)"

This setting tests the ADS_UF_PASSWD_CANT_CHANGE bit of userAccountControl, whereas the PowerShell property is based on the ntSecurityDescriptor attribute, so it is based on permissions.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Thursday, April 6, 2017 2:35 PM
  • Hi Paul,

>>but I am discovering that CannotChangePassword isn't an attribute. It is a righ

Property Syntax R/RW lDAPDisplayName 

CannotChangePassword Boolean RW nTSecurityDescriptor 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/12037.active-directory-get-aduser-default-and-extended-properties.aspx

So, please try this:

Get-ADUser -LDAPFilter '(nTSecurityDescriptor=True)'

Best regards,

Andy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 7, 2017 2:07 AM
  • "ntSecurityDescriptor" is an object and it will always be true for any object.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, April 7, 2017 2:47 AM