Files are showing open even users have closed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a Windows server 2012 r2 Hyper-V VM serving as File Server & has some shared folders. Now users are complaining that while they open file shared on this server, opening as Read Only. When i checked Open files in Compmgmt, it's showing file is opened on the same user whereas i have verified it's not opened. Infact i have forcefully closed it from compmgmt but still showing opened & opening in Read only on user system.

Kindly suggest what could be the issue & how to resolve it.

Regards,

Dhiraj

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 1:35 PM

Answers

• Hi Dhiraj,

So which is your current issue:

1. Closed files are still show "open" when users trying to open it.

2. Everyone can open a file in Read-Write mode even it is opened by another user.

Please help do a test:

a. Create a subfolder inside the existing share. Make sure that Everyone has Full Control on that folder (at least Read, Write and Delete permission). Copy some of your files into that folder.

b. Disable AV on client side first, and open a copied file inside that subfolder. 

c. Disable AV on a second client and see if issue could be reproduced.

Note: As the issue only occurs on Office related files, please make sure to "show hidden files" and "show system files" in Folder Options, and check if any temp file existing when you open an Office file - it should be. And check if it is correctly disappeared once you close the file.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 6:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Dhiraj,

It is strange if the issue still exists after forcing a close on server side.

Will the issue go away if we reboot the client system?

Any security application installed on client?

Whether the issue occurs on a specific file type such as Office files?

If it is Office related, check if any temp file (named like ~$<filename>) exists in the same folder of these files in trouble. Delete all these temp files and see if issue still exists.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 10:01 AM
  • Hi Shaon Shan,

Thanks for your reply. yes it's strange & i have seen it first time. there is no temp file created on server. so far observed this issue with office files (xlsx/ppt etc).

Client has McAfee AV installed. infact after we migrated our file server to Window server 2012 r2, now when users are opening files which are already opened by another user, it's not showing that this file is opened by this user hence it's read only for you. whereas earlier it was showing that message.

Regards,

Dhiraj

Thursday, July 23, 2015 3:21 PM
  • Weird indeed!

Have you verified file permissions, share permissions and read-only attribute on files in question?

I realise these suggestions kind of circumnavigate what you've described, but I think it important to check these things before going any further.

Thanks,
    Simon.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 3:31 PM
  • Hi Dhiraj,

So which is your current issue:

1. Closed files are still show "open" when users trying to open it.

2. Everyone can open a file in Read-Write mode even it is opened by another user.

Please help do a test:

a. Create a subfolder inside the existing share. Make sure that Everyone has Full Control on that folder (at least Read, Write and Delete permission). Copy some of your files into that folder.

b. Disable AV on client side first, and open a copied file inside that subfolder. 

c. Disable AV on a second client and see if issue could be reproduced.

Note: As the issue only occurs on Office related files, please make sure to "show hidden files" and "show system files" in Folder Options, and check if any temp file existing when you open an Office file - it should be. And check if it is correctly disappeared once you close the file.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 6:31 AM