none
XCopy - Force (F)ile or (D)irectory by default RRS feed

Answers

• From XCOPY /? help ...

/I           If destination does not exist and copying more than one file,
                  assumes that destination must be a directory.

Also, placing a terminal backslash on the destination string does the same thing (implied in  the desktop (F1) help for XCOPY) ...

• Specifying whether Destination is a file or directory

If Destination does not contain an existing directory and does not end with a backslash (\), the following message appears:

Does destination specify a file name
      or directory name on the target
      (F = file, D = directory)?

Press F if you want the file or files to be copied to a file. Press D if you want the file or files to be copied to a directory.

You can suppress this message by using the /i command-line option, which causes xcopy to assume that the destination is a directory if the source is more than one file or a directory.

Forcing a FILE or directory can be done by ECHOING the F into xcopy through a pipe ...

ECHO F|xcopy ...

This is not case sensitive.

Tom Lavedas
    • Edited by Tom LavedasModerator Friday, February 11, 2011 6:32 PM add the ECHO part
    • Marked as answer by IamMred Saturday, February 12, 2011 3:00 AM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 6:29 PM

All replies

• From XCOPY /? help ...

/I           If destination does not exist and copying more than one file,
                  assumes that destination must be a directory.

Also, placing a terminal backslash on the destination string does the same thing (implied in  the desktop (F1) help for XCOPY) ...

• Specifying whether Destination is a file or directory

If Destination does not contain an existing directory and does not end with a backslash (\), the following message appears:

Does destination specify a file name
      or directory name on the target
      (F = file, D = directory)?

Press F if you want the file or files to be copied to a file. Press D if you want the file or files to be copied to a directory.

You can suppress this message by using the /i command-line option, which causes xcopy to assume that the destination is a directory if the source is more than one file or a directory.

Forcing a FILE or directory can be done by ECHOING the F into xcopy through a pipe ...

ECHO F|xcopy ...

This is not case sensitive.

Tom Lavedas
    • Edited by Tom LavedasModerator Friday, February 11, 2011 6:32 PM add the ECHO part
    • Marked as answer by IamMred Saturday, February 12, 2011 3:00 AM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 6:29 PM
  • Thank you for your response.

I used the "echo f|xcopy..." method and it works great!

Much appreciated.

--OSXniCKels

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:01 PM
  • here is the proof that you not always need the source (e.g. linux); who whats everything ideal?! there is always a workaround!! ;)
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:57 PM
  • This is such an inelegant solution, but works.

So thanks Tom, and no thanks DOS

Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:45 AM
  • This question has nothing to do with DOS. DOS is a 16-bit operating system that has nothing to do with xcopy.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Thursday, June 5, 2014 1:42 PM
  • There is no cross-platform way. Use copy instead of xcopy.

Independent SharePoint Developer, freelancer http://blog.sharepoint-develop.com/

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 2:15 PM
  • Old but good answer.

Thanks

Joe

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 3:46 PM