This forum is for scripting questions rather than script requests

General discussion

• The purpose of this forum is to get answers to scripting questions rather than to ask others to write or rewrite scripts for you.*

The Repository (link right at the top of this forum) is a searchable database of pre-written scripts that you may be able to adapt to suit your needs.

If you want to ask someone to write a script for you, you can post a request at the script request page. Note that, as with this forum, there is no service-level agreement that guarantees someone will be able to meet your request.

* We're talking about "questions" like these:

• I need a script that does X, Y, and Z.
    • I found this script on the Internet, but it doesn't work for me. Can someone fix it for me?
    • The individual that wrote this script left the company and now we need to make changes. Can someone do this for me?
    • I have this script. I need someone to add feature X to it. Can someone do that for me?
    • I have posted my 500-line script. Can someone find that elusive bug and fix it for me?
    • I have been asked by my boss to write a script. Here are the requirements. Can someone write it for me?
    • Can someone figure out this homework question and do my homework for me?

Some of the reasons we don't "answer" these kinds of "questions" are the following:

• Scope too narrow: We like to focus on general solutions that help the community at large rather than specific solutions that only help the person asking the question.
    • Scope creep: Often, changing some script leads to ongoing requests for more changes.
    • Learning opportunity: If we write or fix code for you, you're not learning anything.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Wednesday, November 04, 2015 5:48 PM