none
Remote regedit - but edit currently logged in user entries.

Question

• So we have a small office setup where 

1. Employees cant regedit  (Gp Restriction) 
    2. Remote Registry is on 
    3. We have a proxy server which the employees cant toggle on and off (Gp Restriction) 

Issue - every time we make an exception for an employee to NOT use the proxy we remote registry into the system and

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5---blablablasidhere\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings we toggle the proxy on and off as required. 

Can this whole setup we shortened?

tried scripting but regedit has no command line, sid is diff for each user. 

How do we run a proxy value toggle for a remote user who is currently logged in

cant do this via group policy cause the domain functional level <g class="gr_ gr_80 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="80" id="80">isnt</g> high <g class="gr_ gr_81 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation multiReplace" data-gr-id="81" id="81">enough.</g> - so there is no alternative route. 

Thursday, November 8, 2018 11:24 AM

All replies

• You can set this with Group Policy.

regedit has a commandline that allows you to apply a "reg" file.  See the documentation fro regedit.

http://www.robvanderwoude.com/regedit.php

Also REG can remotely edit the registry.

REG /?

None of this has anything to do with scripting.  These are all standard Windows utilities that have been part of Windows since the beginning.  As any one of your techs to show you how this works.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, November 8, 2018 11:31 AM
  • Thank you for the answer, it gave a lot of new insight on this, 

We can set this with group policy ( as i stated earlier) because the domain functional level is low and this doesnt work with IE 10 or higher, 

And they dont want me telling them about group policy, per se. 

I looked into the documentation of regedit, and if possible - i would like a little more of your help on this. 

Goal: Remotely edit the reg value of a system in the network for the currently logged in user. ( this is the main problem) 

reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v ProxyServer /t REG_SZ /d 192.168.8.1:8080

This adds the value i wanna mess with to the current user - on my system, 

How do i do this for a remote machine for the user thats currently logged in? 

One goal was to add this regkey for that user 

reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v ProxyServer /t REG_SZ /d 192.168.8.13:8080

and the other is to control its state from 0 or 1 using the 

ProxyEnable=1 or 0 key 

When i remotely connect via regedit > file > connect network 

The "current user" wont be there - so i am not able to figure out how to automate this or script this. 

One needs to go in manually > unique sid > expand to the internet options key and then toggle the value. 

Not very efficient - 

If this can be scripted, please assist.

Tuesday, November 13, 2018 4:03 AM
  • All versions of AD and GP support setting the proxy server via GP. 

When using regedit remotely there is never an HKCU.  You must look  for the user under HKU key.  This is also true of REG or any other method you use remotely.

I recommend setting the proxy server with the standard method using Group Policy.

You can also use netsh to set the machine proxy settings.

netsh winhttp set proxy <proxy>:<port>

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, November 13, 2018 6:49 AM
  • That is what i said, 

I was told it doesnt work if the IE version is 10 or above. 

Idk myself how they set that one up and i cant go and check cause no access. 

\_(ツ)_/

\_(ツ)_/

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 11:09 AM
  • That is what i said, 

I was told it doesnt work if the IE version is 10 or above. 

Idk myself how they set that one up and i cant go and check cause no access. 

\_(ツ)_/

\_(ツ)_/

\_(ツ)_/

You were told "what" doesn't work?

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 11:14 AM
  • Was told 

Their GP doesnt work with Internet Explorer 10 or higher. 

\_(ツ)_/

and since it slows me down i started to look for an alternative which doesnt include making a dept wide debate for access to mess with group policy and plenty of approvals and stuff. 

Thursday, November 15, 2018 8:33 AM
  • Sorry but GP does work with Win10.  They just have to download the templates from MS.

If none of the above works then you are out of luck.  Perhaps you should contact a trained consultant to work with you on this.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, November 15, 2018 9:07 AM
  • You can just use a Group Policy Preference item that sets the registry key: http://www.mustbegeek.com/configure-proxy-settings-using-group-policy-preferences/

Don't use the IE settings under preferences.

Friday, November 16, 2018 12:32 PM