'Credentials could not be validated' during install RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install the System Center Essentials 2010 RC on Windows Server 2008 R2.  I've set both WSUS and Essentials to use the local SQL Server 2008 Express instance.  The server in question is joined to our domain. 

I get through all the prerequisites and file location settings, but when I get to the point where it asks to 'Provide management access credentials' it errors out with 'Credentials could not be validated' no matter what set I use, domain admin or otherwise.  I can't continue with the installation without it.

Any suggestions?
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 8:57 PM

Answers

• from my experience, installing sce on a server that has the wsus role installed is a bad idea.  My 2nd install of sce on my 2008 server without having the wsus pre-installed is working extremely well...minus some of the little bugs that you find all over this forum.

• Marked as answer by Yog Li Thursday, March 11, 2010 10:49 AM
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 3:46 PM
  • I am agreeing with Tom on this,  I have found that it's best to just build a fresh OS and have SCE all alone on it. It seems to me that SCE doesn't like to "play well with others"  LOL

Monday, March 8, 2010 8:17 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Could you please send us the log files as described in this post? http://blogs.technet.com/systemcenteressentials/archive/2009/12/05/essentials-2010-troubleshooting-guide.aspx 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 12:17 AM
  • They should be on the way.  Just a note, I tried a second installation on a fresh 2008 R2 VM and it accepted my credentials.  The primary server I was installing it on had the following roles and features already installed:

File Services
    Hyper-V
    IIS
    Windows Deployment Services
    Windows Server Update Service

BITS
    Remote Differentials Compression
    Remote Admin Tools
    Storage Manager for SANs
    .Net Framework 3.5.1

Anti-virus is installed, but I disabled it and it had no effect.
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 1:12 AM
  • from my experience, installing sce on a server that has the wsus role installed is a bad idea.  My 2nd install of sce on my 2008 server without having the wsus pre-installed is working extremely well...minus some of the little bugs that you find all over this forum.

Thursday, March 4, 2010 3:46 PM
  • I tried removing WSUS (it's a test server only anyway) and still have the same issue.  I guess I'll play around on the VM that succeeded, but it's certainly not where I want to keep the installation if we decide to purchase.
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 4:12 PM
  • I am agreeing with Tom on this,  I have found that it's best to just build a fresh OS and have SCE all alone on it. It seems to me that SCE doesn't like to "play well with others"  LOL

Monday, March 8, 2010 8:17 PM
  • For the next person that finds this thread, I will offer the answer that solved the issue for myself.

Make sure the time is set correctly on the server.

Friday, May 21, 2010 5:32 AM
  • Hello,

I have the same problem but:

I have installed only IIS and Remote Admin Tools, .Net Framework 3.5.1, Remote process activations service.

Time is correct but I still get "'Credentials could not be validated" no matter what account I'll enter...

Saturday, July 3, 2010 9:23 AM
  • Hello!

I have same problem with SCE 2010 RTM.

I have installed only windows server 2008r2 (clean install) and join it to domain - test domain

DC - Windows server 2008 R2 + Exchange server 2010 

no clients, no additional server`s 

absolutly clean domain.

Friday, January 14, 2011 1:35 PM
  • hi

i want to convert physical to virtual with system center essential 2010

my physical server is domain controller with server 2003 installed

does all the system will convert to physical or just role ?i mean should i install windows server 2003 on virtual machine and then sce 2010 will put convert physical server on it or the clone of windows sever 2003 and domain controller role?

thanks in advance

Sunday, January 16, 2011 4:00 PM
  • Does your server have sp2 ? Hyper-v machines request SP2 for Integration services (Network card  for Example)
    Monday, January 17, 2011 6:45 AM