none
How to Configure Windows Server in Wired+WiFi netwok ? RRS feed

• Question

• How to Configure Windows Server in WiFi netwok ?

Hi!, I am working on network of about 25 Computers (Win7) in a College Computer LAB and there is one server, I can install any new OS on server so no problem about that but i am planning to install Win Server 2016 standard because number of computer is going to increae soon

Router: Tp link WDR-3600 connected to server via Wire and Via WiFi to 25 client computers, they are all fresh windows 7 installs so they are clients yet.

Scenario: All 25 PCs are connected to a router for internet via Wifi and Server PC is connected to router via LAN cable as it does not have WiFi Card in it.

Goals:
    1-Controlling USB storage access on all client computers (Enable/ Disable at will).
    2-Control their access to certain websites like YouTube, Facebook, twitter etc
    3-Share server storage folders with all client computers or one specific client computer.
    4- Manage user account on client computer like reset password or disable password change so that no user can do any thing foolish.

I am Newly appointed and this is my First Windows Server project, i am actually Computer Science Graduate with experience in Web Development but nothing in Server Configuration.

Sunday, December 8, 2019 9:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Since the limited resource in forum, I would also suggest you contact Microsoft Customer Support and Services where more in-depth investigation can be done so that you would get a more satisfying explanation and solution to this issue.

You may find phone number for your region accordingly from the link below:

Global Customer Service phone numbers:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4051701/global-customer-service-phone-numbers

Hope this can help you, if you have anything unclear, please let me know.

Have a nice day!

Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 31, 2019 2:35 AM
  • You might be able to accomplish these objectives by creating an AD domain (using the server computer as the domain controller), joining the computers to the domain, provisioning domain user accounts and setting up restrictions via GPOs. 

However, there are a number of challenges you need to keep in mind.

- no redundancy (the domain controller becomes the single point of failure)

- Windows 7 will be out of support in a couple of weeks

If possible, you should consider upgrading your client computers to Windows 10 and using a cloud based solution (such as Intune)

hth
    Marcin

Tuesday, December 31, 2019 3:19 AM