none
Win10 Servicing Stack updates with WSUS RRS feed

• Question

• I have several clients I manage for Windows Updates using WSUS.  The problem seems to be with Windows 10 workstations.  Most of them are on v.1809.  Now that Servicing Stack updates are downloaded along with other security updates, I've been approving them at the same time.  My issue is that on many of my clients' Windows 10 1809 workstations, the servicing stack updates fail to install.  The workstations get stuck downloading the update at 0% and then eventually it fails.  At one client I checked recently, this happened on every single workstation with the current (May) updates.

I've Googled this issue but can't seem to find any relevant posts. I'd be glad to just stop approving them but I'm reading that eventually this could cause problems installing future regular updates.  Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Deb

Deb

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 4:58 PM

Answers

• I haven't heard anything from anyone in 3 weeks.  I still have one client where NONE of the workstations will install even the newest (June) servicing stack update.  I'm going to close this case as no one seems to have any ideas for a solution or how to troubleshoot this further.

Deb

• Marked as answer by SYNOFF Thursday, June 13, 2019 2:08 PM
    Thursday, June 13, 2019 2:08 PM
  • Yes...and...No.  Of the three major clients who had this problem, I resolved the issues in a couple of different ways. 

First, I isolated the workstations into a separate computer group in WSUS so that no updates would be installed until I put them back into the original group. Then I reset Windows Updates on some of them because of remaining installation errors on the particular workstation. IIRC, what I did was:

1.  Stop the necessary services.
    2.  Rename the Software Distribution folder.
    3.  Restart the services. 
    4.  Restart the workstation. This cleaned out the history of update installation errors.

Then I installed the Servicing Stack update manually on all of the workstations.  After that, I returned them to the original group and the rest of the updates installed properly.  The next month, I approved the Servicing Stack update alone before any other updates and waited for it to install.  It installed with no problems on all of the workstations at two of the clients, although there were a few that I had to log on and force the update to install after it was downloaded. I've continued to approve the Servicing Stack updates first, let it install on all workstations and then approve all other updates. No problems.

At the third site, I have never gotten any Servicing Stack update to install normally.  Every month I still have to install those updates manually on all workstations before approving the other updates. By "manually" I mean that I download the updates separately and then use a series of Powershell commands to push out the updates remotely to all of the workstations. 

I've never been able to identify why this problem continues at this one client site, except perhaps for the fact that the WSUS server there is a Windows 2016 server.  I have only one other Windows 2016 WSUS server in operation right now, and I have issues with that one too, so it's a possibility.

Hope this helps! Good luck,

Deb

Deb

• Marked as answer by SYNOFF Friday, November 15, 2019 4:14 PM
    • Edited by SYNOFF Friday, November 15, 2019 4:27 PM
    Friday, November 15, 2019 4:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Deb,

If clients only has 0% of the update when downloading SSU, and other updates are downloaded normally, then the problem may be on the WSUS server.

In the update view in the WSUS console, right click on the header bar and select "FILE STATUS". Find SSU and check if its file status is normal.

The normal situation should be the same as in the figure. If the download is not completed or the download is wrong, you will see other icons.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 23, 2019 2:57 AM
  • Hi, Yic. Thanks for your input; I hadn't checked the file status. However, as you can see from the attached screen capture, the update shows in WSUS as "ready for installation."

In the case of this client, it also looks like it's causing some other updates to fail at the same time on at least some of the workstations.

Thanks,

Deb

• Edited by SYNOFF Thursday, May 23, 2019 4:34 PM
    Thursday, May 23, 2019 4:32 PM
  • Hi,

Please check the WindowsUpdate.log file on the client, invoking the Powershell command get-windowsupdatelog on a Windows 10 machine.

In the log, find the following paragraph to check for error information in section:

• Check for 0x80244022 for filetypes, especially the .esd and .exe, and look at the URL.
      > 2017/06/23 10:18:41.2272275 892 1020 DownloadManager File: http://officewsus01:8530/Content/0F/ACAF6BAF9D5F52B23E3136BB847CFDB49E357B0F.esd
      > 2017/06/23 10:18:41.2309928 892 1020 DownloadManager Error 0x80244022 occurred while downloading update; 

Reply back with the results would be happy to help.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 24, 2019 6:39 AM
  • Hi, Yic.  

I found a workstation where the other May updates had been installed and were awaiting a restart, but the servicing stack update showed as failed.  There were no 0x80244022 errors in the Windows update log.  I restarted the workstation and checked the update status after the restart.  It immediately starting trying to download the servicing stack update, which was the only update left awaiting installation.  It has been stuck at 0% for over an hour but hasn't failed yet.  I generated the update log again and found the section where it started trying to download the update after the restart. If that would be helpful, I can furnish that part of the log, keeping in mind that it was still trying to download the update when I generated the log file.

BTW, there were no 0x80244022 errors in the new log file I generated either.

Thanks,

Deb

Deb

• Edited by SYNOFF Friday, May 24, 2019 2:32 PM
    Friday, May 24, 2019 2:28 PM
  • I haven't heard anything from anyone in 3 weeks.  I still have one client where NONE of the workstations will install even the newest (June) servicing stack update.  I'm going to close this case as no one seems to have any ideas for a solution or how to troubleshoot this further.

Deb

• Marked as answer by SYNOFF Thursday, June 13, 2019 2:08 PM
    Thursday, June 13, 2019 2:08 PM
  • Deb,

Did you ever get this resolved?  I'm having the exact same problem.

Friday, November 15, 2019 3:26 PM
  • Yes...and...No.  Of the three major clients who had this problem, I resolved the issues in a couple of different ways. 

First, I isolated the workstations into a separate computer group in WSUS so that no updates would be installed until I put them back into the original group. Then I reset Windows Updates on some of them because of remaining installation errors on the particular workstation. IIRC, what I did was:

1.  Stop the necessary services.
    2.  Rename the Software Distribution folder.
    3.  Restart the services. 
    4.  Restart the workstation. This cleaned out the history of update installation errors.

Then I installed the Servicing Stack update manually on all of the workstations.  After that, I returned them to the original group and the rest of the updates installed properly.  The next month, I approved the Servicing Stack update alone before any other updates and waited for it to install.  It installed with no problems on all of the workstations at two of the clients, although there were a few that I had to log on and force the update to install after it was downloaded. I've continued to approve the Servicing Stack updates first, let it install on all workstations and then approve all other updates. No problems.

At the third site, I have never gotten any Servicing Stack update to install normally.  Every month I still have to install those updates manually on all workstations before approving the other updates. By "manually" I mean that I download the updates separately and then use a series of Powershell commands to push out the updates remotely to all of the workstations. 

I've never been able to identify why this problem continues at this one client site, except perhaps for the fact that the WSUS server there is a Windows 2016 server.  I have only one other Windows 2016 WSUS server in operation right now, and I have issues with that one too, so it's a possibility.

Hope this helps! Good luck,

Deb

Deb

• Marked as answer by SYNOFF Friday, November 15, 2019 4:14 PM
    • Edited by SYNOFF Friday, November 15, 2019 4:27 PM
    Friday, November 15, 2019 4:14 PM