none
The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API. RRS feed

• Question

• I am receiving the bellow error on my WSUS 2016 Enterprise server patch version 1803. 

I have tried to fix this, using the additional memory method, cleaning up the DB, changing the .net version etc.. 

Still does not work correctly, it seems to be fine, then bam, just freezes with the below error, which requires a server reboot to clear. I have attempted IISReset, and also restarting the WWW publishing services, to no avail. 

I have also rebuilt the server twice, thinking that would help, first rebuild was from 2012R2 where this occurred, to 2016 1607 version with the original DB details,.. Same error eventually.. Then a fresh rebuild with a new server name.. same issue occurs.. I have googled this and it appears common yet no one has yet to fix it.. 

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API. Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server. If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service. System.Net.WebException -- The request failed with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable. Source System.Web.Services Stack Trace: at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall) at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters) at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting.ExecuteSPGetConfiguration() at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.ExecuteSPGetConfiguration() at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServerConfiguration.Load() at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ClassFactory.CreateWellKnownType(Type type, Object[] args) at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ClassFactory.CreateInstance(Type type, Object[] args) at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer.GetConfiguration() at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.CachedObject.RefreshCache() at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.CachedObject.GetFromCache() at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.PermissionsManager.IsPermitted(UserOperation operation) at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.UpdatesSummaryScopeNode.RefreshPermissions() at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.AddChildNodes() at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.ConnectToServerAndPopulateNode(Boolean connectingServerToConsole) at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.ResetScopeNode() 

Rob

Monday, November 26, 2018 5:32 PM

Answers

• Well i figured it out.. it was caused by actually running out of system resources.. i only have 282 machines connected to the network, but apparently having 16GB ram, and 12 cores wasn't enough.. after adding an additional 4 cores, and adding 16GB more ram, the system is now fine.. 

If i am honest that seems insane to run updates.. 

Rob

• Marked as answer by themanindbox Thursday, January 3, 2019 7:48 PM
    Thursday, January 3, 2019 7:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Firstly, we should make sure that we use the domain account to log on the server. Then, we can connect to the WSUS.  

Best regards,
    Johnson
    =====================
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 5:37 AM
  • This has nothing to do with the problem.. 

The issue is that on the console, when you are logged into the server the console dumps, and you can't reconnect until you restart the node.. The Client, or logging in with Domain admin vs local admin will vary based on policy.. this doesn't apply to the question or the issue.. 

Rob

Thursday, November 29, 2018 3:52 PM
  • The WsusPool Application Pool in IIS is in a Stopped state. Start the pool.

If this is a VM - https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/wsus-system-requirements-what-should-i-plan-for/

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    https://www.ajtek.ca
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

Friday, November 30, 2018 5:58 AM
  • It shows as running, through the IIS manager.. 

Also show IIS itself running, etc.. 

The issue isn't that it is stopped or started, it's that the console itself locks up, and tells you it has to reset the node, you can click reset till your finger falls off, but it doesn't do anything.. 

If i go into IIS at that point and either do; 

Recycle the Application pool in IIS, or IISReset, or Restart the service WWW in the services console, makes no difference at all, you still get that splash screen.. the only way thus far to resolve it is to actually reboot the server. I tried adjusting the Application pool memory, which helped a little, but not enough, and i can't imagine that WSUS will need more memory to run 64 clients than 12GB of ram.. and 8 cores of Xenon processor.. 

Rob

Friday, November 30, 2018 2:28 PM
  • Are you performing the proper WSUS maintenance including but not limited to running the Server Cleanup Wizard (SCW), declining superseded updates, running the SQL Indexing script, etc.?

https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/how-to-setup-manage-and-maintain-wsus-part-8-wsus-server-maintenance/

You should be able to get away with 4GB RAM for that.

Friday, November 30, 2018 5:54 PM
  • I will have to get some screen shots, because for whatever reason everyone who replies, just isn't on the same page.. sorry.. once i get a second i will post a few screenshots.. 

Rob

Monday, December 3, 2018 1:52 PM
  • Well i figured it out.. it was caused by actually running out of system resources.. i only have 282 machines connected to the network, but apparently having 16GB ram, and 12 cores wasn't enough.. after adding an additional 4 cores, and adding 16GB more ram, the system is now fine.. 

If i am honest that seems insane to run updates.. 

Rob

• Marked as answer by themanindbox Thursday, January 3, 2019 7:48 PM
    Thursday, January 3, 2019 7:48 PM
  • That is insane, and I think all you're doing is the good ol' 'throw resources at it'

282 machines should be handled by 4GB or 8GB RAM and at least as many vCPUs as the processor has cores and a maximum of as many vCPUs as the processor has in threads but take care not to cross CPUs on multi-processor systems.

https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/wsus-system-requirements-what-should-i-plan-for/

Maintenance of WSUS is also key as it keeps things optimized for efficiency.

Thursday, January 3, 2019 8:01 PM
  • Just checking to see if the extra resources did indeed fix the issue. I'm having the same problem you had
    Thanks!

Friday, November 15, 2019 3:28 PM