none
Outlook Connectivity - Exchange Server 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i'm encoutering a general outlook connectivity issue after a migration from exchange 2016 :

I'm updating from ex 2010, so i had to go trough ex 2016 to reach ex 2019.

First part went fine, ex 2016 was working as intended, now just after moving mailboxes to 2019, outlook clients can't connect to the mbx server. : Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.

I can connect using Owa, mobile devices without problems, after double checks : 

- My scp points to : https://autodiscover.domain.net/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml

- Owa/Ecp/Mapi virtual directorys uses the same namespace

i'm running out of idea.. if someone can help ? thanks 

Sunday, November 3, 2019 3:12 PM

Answers

• Since autodiscover works well on other PCs, DNS records and the configuration of autodiscover should be right. 

Did you install any third-party security programs on Windows server 2016/2019? Some software may contribute to this issue.

I did some research, and you can check this blog for more information: Fix: The Connection to Microsoft Exchange is Unavailable on Outlook

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 7, 2019 9:28 AM

All replies

• Hi

Did you enable Mapi over HTTP by any chance on Server 2016? If it is enabled can you either add the reg key on the client machine to test if its not that?

You could also run fiddler and it will show where the connections are going when you launch outlook and show you where it is getting stuck.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, November 3, 2019 6:39 PM
  • Hi Edward, thanks for your reply,

Outlook clients are in version 2013 to 2019, so mapi to http enabled,  and yes it's active in the organisation since 2016.

when creating a new profile on a client, i can see 2 request going to autodiscover.mydomain.fr... then when comes the time to connect the server nothing more.

Sunday, November 3, 2019 7:04 PM
  • Hello,

could you check if authentication is ok on mapi webservices on 2019 ?

Olivier

Sunday, November 3, 2019 8:46 PM
  • Hi Oliver, 

i think, at least url are fine, how can i check that  ? 

using outlook to test settings seems fine, but i've just found something interresting while running 

Test-OutlookWebServices : 

Source                              ServiceEndpoint                     Scenario                       Result  Latency
                                                                                                                      (MS)
    ------                              ---------------                     --------                       ------  -------
    ABSYS-EXC1.domainxx.LOCAL     autodiscover.remote.domainxx.net       Découverte automatique:        Failure       2
                                                                            fournisseur Outlook
    ABSYS-EXC1.domainxx.LOCAL                                         Services web Exchange          Skipped

any idea on what to check to solve that ? 

thanks

• Edited by Vincent ME Sunday, November 3, 2019 9:43 PM
    Sunday, November 3, 2019 9:31 PM
  • Hello,

Get-MapiVirtualDirectory | fl identity,IISAuthenticationMethod

check if you have configured your SCP correctly (name, dns, certificate trusted) 

if i read correctly, this is a external scenario how failed.

Olivier.

Monday, November 4, 2019 7:32 AM
  • Hi,

Does the A record for autodiscover.domain.net point to Exchange 2019 or Exchange 2016?

You can add a record in hosts file to set autodiscover.domain.net points to Exchange 2019 on the client side, and check if it works:

<Exchange 2019 IP address>  autodiscover.domain.net

The default path of the hosts file is c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc. You can copy the original hosts file to another place, add the record and replace the default one.

You can use the following command to flush DNS cache:

ipconfig /flushdns

Then you can create a new Outlook profile to check. You also can check if user mailbox created on Exchange 2019 has the same issue.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 4, 2019 8:31 AM
  • Hi Lydia, 

i've added that the host file, result is the same, and yes the A record for autodiscover.domain.net point to ex 2019, the ex 2016 has been uninstalled.

In the same time i've created a new user directly on the 2019, result is the same when tying to create profile.
    • Edited by Vincent ME Monday, November 4, 2019 9:33 AM
    Monday, November 4, 2019 9:22 AM
  • Here is some updates, if some has an idea :

after a lot of tests : 

MsOffice 2016 / 19 on windows server ( 2016 or 2019 )can't reach step 3 when trying to add account.

Same on windows 10, same account : works

Exchange support has checked my server and didn't find anything revelant.. 

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 2:27 PM
  • Since autodiscover works well on other PCs, DNS records and the configuration of autodiscover should be right. 

Did you install any third-party security programs on Windows server 2016/2019? Some software may contribute to this issue.

I did some research, and you can check this blog for more information: Fix: The Connection to Microsoft Exchange is Unavailable on Outlook

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Thursday, November 7, 2019 9:28 AM
  • Hi Edward van Biljon,

Thanks that you think my reply is helpful, but we cannot make sure these suggestions do help Vincent ME who asked the question.

If it's convenient, you can unmark the reply. Maybe Vincent ME needs further help and we can wait for some updates from him.

Thanks for your understanding. 

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 1:49 AM
  • Hi Vincent ME,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. If you have any questions or need further help on this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Friday, November 15, 2019 1:29 AM
  • Did you use the same Outlook version on windows 10 as windows server 2016/2019?

You also can use Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer to test Autodiscover and Outlook connectivity. 

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Monday, November 25, 2019 4:10 PM